The impact of the cost of fuel on DCI

Doing stuff in Europe and US all the time gets crazy with , and . being swiched.. example $1,450.25 vs. 1.450,25 € .... and dates are backwards... 02/25/2012 vs. 2012.25.02.

I've actually showed up before for a meeting on the wrong day because i read the date wrong. :)

Not to mention the metric system vs ours. We just got back from Paris, and one waitress told my wife it was -10 degrees the week or so before we visited. She thought the gal meant -10F. :-)

While I don't think that $5 a gallon is out of the realm of possibility, if it is published in the Huffington Post the likelyhood of occurence is slimmer. There is a fine line between media and tabloids and Huff has been walking it for years, baiting people into miniature freak outs for a variety of reasons.

• Like 2

The logical inference to be drawn from your statement is that, to them, pride will always take precedence over responsibility.

pride is such an ugly word.

I prefer ego

Did someone just spring a Jane Austen joke on DCP? There may be hope for all of you yet.

Some of the replies to this topic are from people that don't seem to know what it feels like to march in a Drum Corps that struggles financially. Not every corps has a "Blue Devils budget" to rely on. Drum Corps and DCI should not spend money recklessly. It makes absolutely no sense to me to waste money on traveling cross country in June. IMO corps should try and remain in their regions for at least the first half of the season. Last years decision to start the season in my home state of Texas made absolutely no sense. Who wants to travel that far with incomplete shows just to perform in front of very sparse crowds. Can you imagine the money lost on fuel for east and west coast corps that made the trip to the Lone Star state. DCI needs to seriously rethink the way it financially burdens corps when setting touring schedules.

Don't even get me started on the way these schedules harm the environment with high carbon footprints.... But I will save that for another thread.

• Like 2

*YAWN* Here we go again. If any drum corps has been budgeting fuel at LESS than $5.00 a gallon since the 2008 season, they have been guilty of mismanagement.

What about fans who cut back on things like shows or supporting corps because more of their budget is going to things like transportation or (for some of us) heat?