DCA Accepting Bids For 2014, 2015 World Championships

All good points Jeff,........

I would have to add that while the weather was awful, that, in most cases, should not be considered a major factor for failure, as any show should not be looking for walk up sales to make the nut,..........I will say that with an enormous stadium, any walk up customer can esentially buy the "best seat in the house",...............when there are 5 to 10,000 of them........no motivation at all to get your seats early,............

Please say Camp Randall! Please say Camp Randall! Please say Camp Randall!

Let the record state the suggestion for Indy should NOT include hosting DCA Championships in Lucas Oil Stadium. It's too big and costly to even consider it on top of the controversial acoustics. I'm thinking more like the greater Indy area like Ball State University, Purdue, or even down south in good 'ol Bloomington... perhaps the best drum corps stadium second to maybe Camp Randall.

IMO.....location. There was no real DCi base there, let alone a DCA base. a $40 ticket is not going to grab the average Joe off of the street to entice them to come see "marching bands". While the lineup was solid, PR outside of DCP hypewas not much despite some big promises made. To add to it, there wasn't much else to do down there that would entice travellers.

I'm glad I went, and it was a great lineup, but the place was not ready yet. With 6+ years since, it'll take even more work to get it there

"REAL" 'DCA Base'":

How about Bridgeport CT? This is actually a REAL "Drum Corps" city, having a drum corps 'heritage' going all the way back to the 1940's. The town was host to the World Open in 1964 & 65 and DCA in 1966.

They have held scores of "Barnums" at Central HS "JFK Stadium" and with the large number of "City Corps" alums (Hurricanes come to mind, as well as the 20+ juniors that called the "Park City" home) local attendance should be quite good.

The area is somewhat "Central" for the NE corps, although the Western & Mid Western units will still have to make their customary "Tour" to the Championships.

The surrounding area "Should" have motel acomodations to support the weekend surge of corps and attendees.

Elphaba

"REAL" 'DCA Base'":

How about Bridgeport CT? This is actually a REAL "Drum Corps" city, having a drum corps 'heritage' going all the way back to the 1940's. The town was host to the World Open in 1964 & 65 and DCA in 1966.

They have held scores of "Barnums" at Central HS "JFK Stadium" and with the large number of "City Corps" alums (Hurricanes come to mind, as well as the 20+ juniors that called the "Park City" home) local attendance should be quite good.

The area is somewhat "Central" for the NE corps, although the Western & Mid Western units will still have to make their customary "Tour" to the Championships.

The surrounding area "Should" have motel acomodations to support the weekend surge of corps and attendees.

Elphaba

Sorry Elphie ... I tried several years ago to formulate a bid to bring DCA back to Bridgeport ... just wouldn't work ... tried to recruit the Barnum Committee to run and staff it ... not enough $$$ for them to be interested ... plus ... Kennedy Stadium does not have the required 7500 concert side seats ... and ... the hotel/motel situation really won't support the # of rooms that get booked up by the corps and fans ... sad to say, it just did not work out ... my daughter tried to get them into Rentschler Stadium in Hartford - but the grounds crew put a halt to that ... oh well ...

• Like 1

Let the record state the suggestion for Indy should NOT include hosting DCA Championships in Lucas Oil Stadium. It's too big and costly to even consider it on top of the controversial acoustics. I'm thinking more like the greater Indy area like Ball State University, Purdue, or even down south in good 'ol Bloomington... perhaps the best drum corps stadium second to maybe Camp Randall.

UW-Whitewater 3rd?

"REAL" 'DCA Base'":

Elphaba

that stadium, IMO, is not a good choice for finals weekend, but the area if it has another option that isnt a baseball stadium ( site of 2000 show) would be good.

I think Vegas or Southern California would be nice place to DCA Champs...

I wish I have the $$$ to summit a bid.. I would work on the committee to get it out here...

Vegas in SEPTEMBER??? Only if it were indoors...I can't imagine all the corps going through a worse edition of our last 05 practice run in Sacramento.

Now SoCal...yeah. MUCH better weather...but where to host? Citrus College in Glendora comes to mind...awesome height to see drill (although you need a sherpa guide to get to the top), fairly close to Ontario Airport (probably more expensive than flying in to LAX, but INFINITELY worth the lack om comparitive stress of dealing with the LAX/405 route), large parking lot, and certainly used to hosting drum corps events.

Oh year...AND NO FREAKIN' HURRICANES!! (except for the drum corps, of course, YOU guys would be welcome...Ernesto 2.0??? Not so much)

It would probably have to be more years out than 2015, tho, just to allow the eastern corps time to build funds for the trip....unless you were to somehow get it subsidized.

as the bid specs are not public, we could speculate on what is needed to host the labor day weekend events (for two years),......I will start the list, please add your thoughts.

-Football/soccer stadium with approx 10,000 concert side seats between the 20's for three days that sells beer

-About 40 schools and/or practice fields for three or 4 days

-5000? available hotels rooms at about $100.00 per night rate

-strong (corps related) committee on the ground

as the bid specs are not public, we could speculate on what is needed to host the labor day weekend events (for two years),......I will start the list, please add your thoughts.

-Football/soccer stadium with approx 10,000 concert side seats between the 20's for three days that sells beer

-About 40 schools and/or practice fields for three or 4 days

-5000? available hotels rooms at about $100.00 per night rate

-strong (corps related) committee on the ground

On Labor Day Weekend yet..... with whatever HS and college bands/football teams are doing in that part of the country that time of year. If they even would consider "outsiders" touch their taxpayer/tuition paid for field. No wonder I was very familiar with the parking lot at the Rochester Airport in the 70s (now covered over by a parking garage).

And I wonder why my dad is surprised that DC is still around....