What are some of the Major Things Crown Needs to do to take the 2012 W

I kind of what to steer the discussion back to Crown from the Cadets, although their 2011 show was really great. Some have discussed that the issue of design flaw has held Crown back. Please try to provide some feedback as to what you mean by design flaw in some detail.

I kind of what to steer the discussion back to Crown from the Cadets, although their 2011 show was really great. Some have discussed that the issue of design flaw has held Crown back. Please try to provide some feedback as to what you mean by design flaw in some detail.

Rock shows don't win.

• Like 1

Rock shows don't win.

This type of comment reminds me of the academy award bias for drama and their distaste for comedy and sci-fi as even contenders for best picture. This type of thinking is just plain garbage.

This type of comment reminds me of the academy award bias for drama and their distaste for comedy and sci-fi as even contenders for best picture. This type of thinking is just plain garbage.

Garbage or not, the unfairness inherent in bias doesn't render that bias untrue. The biggest design flaw was that they did a rock show. Show selection is a threshold issue. Before one can even analyze staging, balance, effect, etc., the actual show has to be analyzed. Rock shows don't win. They just don't.

Garbage or not, the unfairness inherent in bias doesn't render that bias untrue. The biggest design flaw was that they did a rock show. Show selection is a threshold issue. Before one can even analyze staging, balance, effect, etc., the actual show has to be analyzed. Rock shows don't win. They just don't.

The context of your comment is limited to last year, but what about 2009 and 2010. No rock there. By the way, if you can win high brass with rock, you can we a title. If the judges didn't like the rock, they didn't have to give the brass caption to Crown so I don't buy the argument.

The context of your comment is limited to last year, but what about 2009 and 2010. No rock there. By the way, if you can win high brass with rock, you can we a title. If the judges didn't like the rock, they didn't have to give the brass caption to Crown so I don't buy the argument.

The brass title is not based on the literature played, it's based on the execution. Crown's execution was #### good. It doesn't matter what music they played.

And I have to agree. Rock shows don't win.

• Like 1

Since when do effect and ensemble judges award brass trophies? Their brass line was by far the best last year. The brass judges got it right, but the brass judges aren't charged with analyzing the show. That's why they are on the field.

In 2009, the middle of the show just didn't work. Too little going on for too long, in my opinion. In 2010, I think they just wrote the show above their own heads, visually.

But hey, I'm just a poster on an internet forum. Good luck to Crown in the future.

I know there are people on this board that know a lot more about DCI and how the judging works than I do, so that said, I will offer my opinion that the "not liking the show design" doesn't show up in the music caption as that seems to give more value to execution (at least IMO)... it shows up in the GE captions, where the "rock" earned Crown a 5th place.

In 2009, when Crown was closest to winning, they still didn't win any of the GE captions/sub-captions.

In 2010, Crown came in 5th in GE visual, 4th in GE music, and 4th in overall GE.

Crown has the brass figured out. Their brass program is as championship quality as Cadets/BD/Cavaliers. But they need to get the rest of the corps to that level if they want to win a championship, and so far they aren't there.

Not so coincidentally, Crown's highest GE placements (2009) resulted in their highest overall placement.