What are some of the Major Things Crown Needs to do to take the 2012 W

Interesting. On the other side....BD 2011 had a final BB number planned ("God give me strength"), it appeared on their song list right up to the end. But they never used it, opting for a bigger "House is not a home" reprise. I guess it happens both ways. It wouldn't have mattered anyway.....Cadets had the design....period.

Definitely think both things happen in successful corps (planning the evolution of the show and reacting to how the audience/judges perceive what's on the field). I agree about Cadets...maybe Sacktig's finest work.

Definitely think both things happen in successful corps (planning the evolution of the show and reacting to how the audience/judges perceive what's on the field). I agree about Cadets...maybe Sacktig's finest work.

I think the Cadets had the best drill design, yes. Best music design? Not even close. Several corps out-designed them and flat out out-played them musically, including BD and Crown. While I think that the Cadets had a very well designed show in 2011, I do not understand what people seem to think is so great about it. The other 3 corps in the top 4 were much cleaner.

• Like 4

I think the Cadets had the best drill design, yes. Best music design? Not even close. Several corps out-designed them and flat out out-played them musically, including BD and Crown. While I think that the Cadets had a very well designed show in 2011, I do not understand what people seem to think is so great about it. The other 3 corps in the top 4 were much cleaner.

It was visually unique and told sort of a story that made it passed the 10th row. I agree, not the best music on the field...but I think that's the point of the thread and the discussion about the primacy of "design" (particularly visual design) over everything else. You need to be close to the top in terms of music and performance....but it's the design that makes or breaks a title. Crown needs to either have the best design or hope for a year when one of the other usual suspects all have meh designs. Crowns most competitive design (".....Greener") happened against BD's best scoring show ever! And again, like it or not, BD 2009 was the unique design again, that separated it from the field. Without that, CC will remain competitive but an "also ran".

NOTE: Cadets 2010 tried and missed with a story show, but it was too small. PR08 and Cadets11 won with stories that reached beyond the 10th row.....they were big! That's the only way IMO, a story show can win!

• Like 1

probably, if anything, the brilliant way Sacktig worked the colors in and out of each other, and of course the GE with the battle.

Someone near me at Allentown called it "Spartacus Lite"....you had a good vs evil theme, but the music wasn't quite at Spartacus level, but with incredible visual demand

There are many experienced people that post on DCP including current and former DCI members and staff. I would like some good reflection on what you believe has honestly held Crown back from the title over the last few years and what they need to do this year in order to really compete for the title.

Keep doing what they are doing. They are one of my favorite and most entertaining corps on the field of competition today. That elusive DCI crown (no pun intended) will surely be theirs one day soon! Keep it up CC!

• Like 2

A lot of it comes down to clean, clean, clean and more cleaning.

Oh, and clean.

• Like 1

I think crown will be the New corps to win Finals. Before any other non title holding corps. Its just a matter of time. They will do it.

• Like 1

It was visually unique and told sort of a story that made it passed the 10th row. I agree, not the best music on the field...but I think that's the point of the thread and the discussion about the primacy of "design" (particularly visual design) over everything else. You need to be close to the top in terms of music and performance....but it's the design that makes or breaks a title. Crown needs to either have the best design or hope for a year when one of the other usual suspects all have meh designs. Crowns most competitive design (".....Greener") happened against BD's best scoring show ever! And again, like it or not, BD 2009 was the unique design again, that separated it from the field. Without that, CC will remain competitive but an "also ran".

NOTE: Cadets 2010 tried and missed with a story show, but it was too small. PR08 and Cadets11 won with stories that reached beyond the 10th row.....they were big! That's the only way IMO, a story show can win!

And they BOTH let the SHOW tell the story, which is why both shows are so great.

• Like 2