Most Inspired/Improved Finals Performances

In the spirit of March Madness, I like it when someone or some group accepts the challenge and rises to the occasion - putting on their most inspired or improved performance to date, maxing out, doing everything they could with what they had to work with. Do any particular DCI FINALS performances come to mind where YOU WERE IN THE STANDS AS A FAN that made you take notice, like "whoa, that was on a completely different level for them". Feel free to comment if that inspired performance was also reflected in higher scores or placement.

One example that quickly comes to mind for me was 1986 Suncoast Sound. I saw them perform and practice many times that summer. They were an extremely talented group that performed spectacularly in spots, but would then seem to suffer a brain hiccup or two. Their semi-finals performance left me flat and un-engaged, and the judges seemed to agree - as Suncoast placed 6th, and just missed making the Top 5 from semis (which is who made the live finals tv broadcast). HOWEVER, they absolutely sizzled in finals! I thought they had ended up in at least 4th, with an outside shot at 3rd. Their FINALS performance level was a couple of notches higher than anything I had heard/seen them do earlier that summer. It was like someone lit the proverbial fire under their collective butts, and the fans received an awesome treat that night.

Any others come to mind?

In the spirit of March Madness, I like it when someone or some group accepts the challenge and rises to the occasion - putting on their most inspired or improved performance to date, maxing out, doing everything they could with what they had to work with. Do any particular DCI FINALS performances come to mind where YOU WERE IN THE STANDS AS A FAN that made you take notice, like "whoa, that was on a completely different level for them". Feel free to comment if that inspired performance was also reflected in higher scores or placement.

Perhaps 76 Madison (defending DCI champs); the show wasn't scoring nor selling well, so they ditched it mid-season, learned a new show (albiet with some chunks from the previous year), cleaned it, and came in 2nd place to BD, who was really in a league of their own that year.

I should add, I was not in the stands, but I did watch it live on TV (yes, youngsters, DCI finals, all 12 corps (13 in 1977) used to be broadcast live each year. << sarcasm on >> I'm so glad the activity has progressed since those days << sarcasm off >>

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

Phantom 96

I know the story - the continuous climb up from quarters - but I was (very, very sadly) not at that Finals. Can you share what changed and improved (assuming you saw them earlier in the week or summer) from your perspective? Thanks!

1993 SCV. Saw them in June and it was embarrassing. I was glad I had aged out the year before. I thought they might not even make finals. They were shockingly improved in Jackson. read Lee Rudnicki's short book Tale of a Drumline for some really funny stories from that year.

• Like 4

Phantom '08 is the obvious one, of course, but here's another...

SCV '05. I didn't get to see them early season, but from judging the numbers and what was floating around, things were rough. Maybe that's all it was--poor reception of their scores translating into poor word-of-mouth. Clearly at some point late season they pulled it together.

I also think the VANGUARD yell that year may have been the loudest of all time...

...but maybe that's just me looking back with rosy-tinted glasses :satisfied:

Edited by PunkRawkBandGeek

How about Scouts 88?

Went off to faraway lands for much of the season then returned home to sweep away all before them... although I can't remember where they were ranked going into finals week.

Regiment 08 is probably the best example of what the OP is talking about. I'm honestly not sure we'll ever see the likes again... I hope so but I won't hold my breath.