Most Inspired/Improved Finals Performances

I would have to say 1992 Cadets. Their finals night performance was at peak performance. A demanding show in very cold weather. I think they should have won.

Link to Download of the Week from March 12, 2012.

I had forgotten all about how cold it was that day, but I remember it clearly now. I actually went to a couple UW bookstores hoping to buy a UW stocking cap; not because I wanted a UW stocking cap, but because none of the other stores were carrying stocking caps yet...too early in the season.

I never did find one and had really cold ears that night, the coldest World Championship experience since that one year in Montreal in 1981 or 1982.

I had forgotten all about how cold it was that day, but I remember it clearly now. I actually went to a couple UW bookstores hoping to buy a UW stocking cap; not because I wanted a UW stocking cap, but because none of the other stores were carrying stocking caps yet...too early in the season.

I never did find one and had really cold ears that night, the coldest World Championship experience since that one year in Montreal in 1981 or 1982.

I was present as well. I believe it was around 40 degrees. A lot of corps where legitimately struggling with intonation issues this night. And, of course, all of us who were on tour with a corp has NO clothes whatsoever for this fall night :).

2000 Boston, though they had finally made Finals in 1999, I think long time DCI followers were happy to see them jump right in the thick of things and make live T.V. During the pause between the sixth and fifth corps, the east coast crowd was electric in their anticipation, and they weren't disapointed.

• Like 3

To quote Tom Float at the 87 Awards Banquet: "Yo, I don't believe in most improved awards cuz it means you sucked"!

Edited by flammaster
  • Like 1

1986 Les Eclipses. First show 37.70, quarter finals 86.10. They dropped a couple points in semi's but still managed a very respectable 14th place.

in terms of design, not much changed. What changed was:

quality. Everything just started to gel from a performance standpoint technically. We stayed where everyone warmed up, and watched them a lot on Thursday. Friday we saw them as we waited to go on ( we did the exhibition after BD), and you could see the show was really starting to come together. Saturday....oher worldly.

Emotion....it sucked in the kids ( remember the shot of Kristi crying on the podium) and the crowd. In all of the shows I've atteneded in my 43 years, only 4 shows have ever made me totally lose awareness of everything but the corps on the field. Phantom 96 ( and 08) was one of them. They just sucked you in and milked everything out of you. Honestly, I had little emotion left for BD, and I loved BD's show.

Aptly named "The Spartacus Effect." BD's show just seemed dead to me after Regiment's performance.

I remember stopping to buy clothes that day for warmth too

Uh how bout this past year for Phantom? Was anyone else more than worried when they saw what PR was doing in the early season, but by finals, it was wow, and I mean WOOOW.

• Like 1

This show goes often unmentioned...but, I will always say, if you know the full story, 1989 Cadets of Bergen County and Les Mis. Behind Star most of the year and too many endings to the show to count, all the way up till finals. It is still very sad, to know we could not convince judges that there really isn't a tear in the show, it was two completely INDEPENDENT CORPS on the field at the same time(maybe we should have just superimposed one on the other), but dawg gone it, that's how it was done on Broadway and that's what we did on the field. An absolutely inspiriing, emotionally charged show, no matter what place it finished.

Edited by Eric M. Buckman
  • Like 3