Most Inspired/Improved Finals Performances

This is undoubtedly self-serving, but probably 1999 SCV. I seem to remember that we were nearly a point behind BD in semis. We came back in scoring, which is obvious, but I've heard people say that it's the most energized performance they've ever seen live. But most important was the crowd response when the scores were announced. When you find out that you tied with another corps, and then (what sounded like) 20,000+ fans chant out "SCV... SCV... SCV..." for several minutes, that says it all.

In my opinion, this has to be the be-all-end-all answer to this thread. /thread

=P

P.S. This is no knock on BD that year, since I loved their show. Just sayin'.

• Like 1

08 stars maybe?

• Like 2

This is undoubtedly self-serving, but probably 1999 SCV. I seem to remember that we were nearly a point behind BD in semis. We came back in scoring, which is obvious, but I've heard people say that it's the most energized performance they've ever seen live. But most important was the crowd response when the scores were announced. When you find out that you tied with another corps, and then (what sounded like) 20,000+ fans chant out "SCV... SCV... SCV..." for several minutes, that says it all.

In my opinion, this has to be the be-all-end-all answer to this thread. /thread

=P

P.S. This is no knock on BD that year, since I loved their show. Just sayin'.

I was on the field talking with BD director David Gibbs when the chanting started. One of his staff members asked him what the audience was chanting, and Dave responded, "SCV." He grinned and didn't take it as a personal snub to BD at all, which reminded me of former director Mike Moxley's response three years earlier when I was on the field for the victory run-throughs of Blue Devils and Phantom Regiment. Mike was smiling and stated, "This is great! Twice the number of kids get to go home as champions!"

• Like 1

how about Bluecoats 2006 - after semi's they were sitting in 6th behind two former champions The Cadets and SCV, and proceeded to smoke at finals and leap frog both to snag their highest finish (4th) to date.

They were 3rd in 2010... :ph34r:

• Like 1

They were 3rd in 2010... :ph34r:

That's why he said to date/ 4th was their highest finish until 2010

I know wasn't in the stands finals night in 2010... but I think The Cavaliers that season need some mention. I remember reading on this forum finals predictions for 2010 and lots of folks placed them as low as 10th. And The Cavaliers started pretty rough, but they kept up the hard work and created a really fantastic show. I do believe The Cavaliers in 2010 made a very good statement that season. 2010 was a crazy and awesome ride for me! :thumbup: and I loved every moment of it.

I have to be a homer and go with 1999 Cadets. It may not show on the video, because the end product was still pretty dirty, but things locked in that last performance that hadn't locked once all season, including rehearsals.

I marched for a long time and won DCI titles in other years, but nothing really matched the feeling under the stadium after that last 1999 performance. Really remarkable stuff. Even Van Doren was impressed, and that's... saying something.

Agree on this. SCV lit it up at Finals in 2005. Not their highest placing SCV Corps... far from it.... that year but they really won over the Crowd in Foxboro, Mass and among all the Corps in the Finals they were one of the favorites with their show performance on Finals Night. The crowd loved them and they got a rousing reception at the end of their show. They finished 8th that nite, but the crowd didn't care about any of that, as they had really sold the show.

The storm delay and Music of the Night in the tunnel only added to the good will that night.

• Like 2

1981 Blue Devils at finals in Montreal...

Came into the contest in 2nd place at 1.95 points behind... Horns, Guard and Marching had a good enough show to place 2nd again but this time by only .30 with a 9th place drumline. Yes I was on field that night... But even after the 1982 & 1983 Season... I have not felt the electricity of a performance that good (sans the drums) We probably couldn't tell the drums were having an off night because of the HORRIBLE acoustics in the stadium!