Most Inspired/Improved Finals Performances

I also "get" that that was the standard of the time. But, moreso, I know that SOA did it better than just about anyone, then. They were all about park, bark, blow faces off. Hell, didn't they spend hours of rehearsal listening to each player to find the notes they could play the loudest, then referring to those notes for chords?

Play that stuff for a main stream drum corps kid/fan/marching member (outside of Spirit) and the look on their faces will not be that of pleasure; except a very select few.

• Like 1

I also "get" that that was the standard of the time. But, moreso, I know that SOA did it better than just about anyone, then. They were all about park, bark, blow faces off. Hell, didn't they spend hours of rehearsal listening to each player to find the notes they could play the loudest, then referring to those notes for chords?

Play that stuff for a main stream drum corps kid/fan/marching member (outside of Spirit) and the look on their faces will not be that of pleasure; except a very select few.

Do we HAVE to play '1980 Spirit of Atlanta " stuff " for them ? Could we just leave the " drum corps kid/ fan/ marchers", etc you are speaking on behalf of alone ? Why inflict such misery on them ?

• Like 1

Why inflict such misery on them ?

Ha, I know. I tried, but each time the tape came out of the brass bus DVD player after that first big hit.

I thought there were much worse things to watch... like Twilight. I must be getting a little dinosaurific, myself.

It also isn't like I dislike that drum corps era. I like it a lot. The problem is that most everyone I encounter in the activity my age or younger, hates it with a passion.

• Like 2

Ha, I know. I tried, but each time the tape came out of the brass bus DVD player after that first big hit.

I thought there were much worse things to watch... like Twilight. I must be getting a little dinosaurific, myself.

It also isn't like I dislike that drum corps era. I like it a lot. The problem is that most everyone I encounter in the activity my age or younger, hates it with a passion.

Just tell them to get rid of their hate. Its easy. Its just music. Tell them music is personal. What they like in music or " hate " in music is really nobody's else's business. I don't care all that much what you like ( or don't like ) in music, and you shouldn't care all that much what I like or don't like in music., or what anybody else likes or doesn't like in Music. The poster above that brought up '80 SOA was his opinion that SOA did a good job in Finals and that " you had to have been there". This comment of having "to have been there" could have just as easily been referring to 2012. Lots of us that go to shows during the season can't always make to finals, you know ? Why his rather innocuous response above prompted you to go into a harrangue on the quality of the playing of 80 SOA from your perspective was a bit uncalled for, imo. You wern't there. Neither was I. And whether you like or don't like the technical playing abilities of '80 SOA is totally unrelated to this thread topic anyway too. Take it easy man. And tell your friends to chill as well on personal music tastes. Hate will put you and them into a grave at a young age. Ane we're talking just music here. Millions of people around the world ( some of them young like you ) that listen to and enjoy ( for example ) Rock n' Roll ( or Alternative Rock ) arn't particularly listening to it and enjoying it for the wonderful technically proficient voice of the lead singer, you know ?

Edited by BRASSO

Thanks for the clarification gentlemen. It appears that the problem is one of comprehension.

I referred to SOA's performance that night strictly in the context of most inspired. If you go back to my post, you will see that noted in the 1st line.

I said nothing about the drill(which I have critized many times as a very easy follow the leader drill) or the quality of the output of the hornline(which I leave the the perception of the individual listener, taking note of the fact that the field judges had them 2nd across the board and the GE judge had them 5th on that night).

I never said that I preferred one era over another with respect to performance, content or design. I think my continued presence as a supporter of the activity makes my position clear. If not, just ask and I will be happy to discuss that with you as well.

My memory has everything to do with the emotion that was wrapped up in that performance. It was an emotion that everyone in the crowd and who had been on tour that summer tapped into quite easily. If you want to argue that we gave them a type of pass that night then so be it. Even today we talk about the loss of Jim Ott and the influence he had on the activity and on that night we mourned as a community.

Inspired(from Dictionary.com) -

aroused, animated, or imbued with the spirit to do something, by or as if by supernatural or divine influence

• Like 3

SOA's story of 1980 was one of tragedy and perseverance. Jim Ott was a beloved man, and the fact that he died far before his time in July of 1980 could have been a breaking point for the kids in his line. I don't care at all about the quality on a recording device in regard to SOA's 1980 finals performance because they were playing for their Jim that night.

And I bet that was the point of dcikid80's post, too.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I comprehend just fine. You are insinuating that had people seen it live, they would have liked it.

My contention is that that is not remotely true. Almost everyone except the dinosaurs in our current DCI community dislike harsh, uncharacteristic sounds and little or no marching & park and bark.

Don't believe me? Refer to ANY thread on the Blue Devils or HBCU Bands.

Were you there General?

• Like 2

I'm shocked no one mentioned this yet but Blue Stars and Madison 08!

Madison was a bit rough at the beginning. I believe at the Madison, WI show they only beat Pioneer finishing behind Troopers. They climbed over the course of the season to beat out Crossmen at quarters and semis.

Blue Stars also started off slow finishing behind Madison before the Madison, WI show. They were in either 10th or 11th for the majority of the year and during finals week they went up one spot on both quarters and semis to finish in 8th place and break back into finals two years after coming back into Div 1/World class