Some New DCI Video Products you would like to see released

After taking a survey from DCI concerning DVD products, I thought about some things I would like to see released from DCI concerning video:

1) This was actually mentioned in the survey, but a Champions Blu-ray set with all the DCI champion performances from 74 - present. I don't know if the videos can be cleaned up anymore for blu-ray than it already was for DVD - Tom Blair would be the expert on that, but it would be cool to have them on blu-ray for us blu-ray nuts :)

2) Release the 13 - 20 whatever corps for the last three years on blu-ray, and also include an option for this 2012 year to buy a COMPLETE blu-ray set of the world class corps, not just the top 12 on blu-ray.

3) This is a stretch, but I would love to see DCI release on to its fan network every video made from any year. Example: If I want to watch the 1989 Phantom Regiment SEMIFINALS performance in high camera, or the 2000 Cadets Quarterfinals performance, etc. I know there are many videos from various years, some in both high cam and multicam, some years have less. Remember those years where you could buy individual video performances of corps right after they performed? Video Express anyone? Those are the types of vids I am talking about. But the point would be that I could access them via the fan network. And I wouldn't think there would be licensing issues since the licenses were already purchased for the finals shows (maybe I am wrong), but I think DCI could pocket some extra cash by giving us the opportunity to download various year's videos from quarters, semis, highcam or multicam, etc., that were not originally released to the public via finals video sets. Charge $5.00 a download, and see what comes of it. I know I would purchase some.

Anyone else have any ideas worth throwing out there?

leed17

• Like 1

"Best of 13-24" series: mitigates risk to DCI by only producing one or two DVDs a year (that way licensing can be taken care of as needed), have fan voting for shows to be included.

Eight to ten shows on a disc, with perhaps some flavor commentary from Rondo and Cesario, along with corps members and designers for the shows (as applicable).

I'd buy it. :wink:

Similar to WGI, I would like to have the ability of customizing a DVD of 12 shows of my own choosing. I suppose you could download them from the Fan Network..but I like having a DVD in my hands..

13-24/25 every year.

a best of is cool, or a fan vote is cool, but either way,some absolute gems would be left off

• Like 1

I think any effort DCI puts into BlueRay beyond what they are doing now would be very, very misguided. I'd much rather see effort put into bolstering Fan Network offerings, including streaming and purchase in 1080p, fully compatibility with mobile devices and home networking (AirPlay, for example), and even using iTunes as a storefront (or at least as a supplementary interface for purchase). I can see DCI dropping all physical media (CD/DVD/BlueRay) within the next few years as a cost-cutting measure, and due to low sales. Digital media is the answer here.

It's also high time DCI started remastering and releasing the Ken Kobold collection. I know there are licencing issues involved here, so I'd be far more inclined to pay a bit extra for digital versions from that collection.

While on the subject, an iOS/Android App for accessing the Fan Network would be excellent. I think that you would see a spike in subscriptions if people could access the FN from anywhere, not just when they are at their computer. I know that I would LOVE to be able to stream audio from any year at any time in any place.

• Like 1

I think any effort DCI puts into BlueRay beyond what they are doing now would be very, very misguided. I'd much rather see effort put into bolstering Fan Network offerings, including streaming and purchase in 1080p, fully compatibility with mobile devices and home networking (AirPlay, for example), and even using iTunes as a storefront (or at least as a supplementary interface for purchase). I can see DCI dropping all physical media (CD/DVD/BlueRay) within the next few years as a cost-cutting measure, and due to low sales. Digital media is the answer here.

It's also high time DCI started remastering and releasing the Ken Kobold collection. I know there are licencing issues involved here, so I'd be far more inclined to pay a bit extra for digital versions from that collection.

Yes, they really need to update the quality of the streaming on Fan Network also. The 2010 finals week videos are all in HD I believe, and they are all great quality. I would like to see more of that. I know at least since being in LOS they have shot with HD, they may have in 2008 too? I don't quite remember. Also I more consisten product from year to year. There are some years where the audio is great in the 2000s and then other years the volume and quality is a lot lower.

I love the FN. It is worth the money. And I wouldn't be surprised to see DCI switch to all digital media. Much more cost effective. And you can get the same quality or close that you can get with bluray. Especially with things like Airplay and such.

I agree with almost everything you say here, with the exception of iTunes (unless it is only a supplemental interface). I am not an Apple guy (yeah, I know, I am that guy...) and have no desire nor intention to ever install the garbage that is the Windows version of iTunes on any PC that I own, nor do I want to have to go through Apple for anything. Not to mention that they are pretty standard on taking their 30% of sales, which I doubt DCI could afford.

• Like 2

Improving the FN streams is a great idea. If they can stream semis in HD then surely they can do the same with every live stream....? Esp. shows which are held in modern stadia with a good communication infrastructure.

I think digital is the way forward but "full digital" may be a little longer off than you think. I suspect your average DCI store customer is probably from an era that prefers real stuff to virtual stuff. As the years go by that will change but not yet.

• Like 1

Oh and The Legacy "BluRay" Collection would rock!