DCI Fan Network 2012

I'm doing the video for the 2012 Live Streaming from Stanford, and the 2012 Walnut shows (as I have been doing the last few years). They will both be single camera shoots. I'm doing both shows by myself, as that's all it takes. I wouldn't say that DCI is "pinching pennies" on video, though, as all the people shooting video are getting paid. As a professional videographer (and the Blue Devils video/audio historical archivist) I too would love to see more multi-cam shows. HOWEVER ... the costs for going from a single camera to a multi-camera shoot shoots WAY up ... FAST. It's not just having more than one camera, you have to have run a LOT of wires (or have very high quality - read VERY EXPENSIVE - wireless video transmitters/receivers). You have to have a camera-person for each camera, and if there is a roving camera, someone to coil/uncoil the wire behind the camera person. There has to be a very experienced person to mix the videos in real time, and there needs to be a producer to orchestrate everything. ALSO, to do good videos, the producer should interact with a staff member of each corps, to make sure they get the "good shots". Oh, yes ... audio. There should be an audio person as well. And then there's the obligatory "crane camera" that flies over the performers. That's a $30k rig by itself, if done right.

Multi-cam is a BIG job ... and to do it right you need a seasoned video crew.

That is all!

Makes me think of my earlier college days (back in the 90's, when I was majoring in R/TV/F at North Texas) when I had to produce, direct AND switch the cameras for a graded "live" TV show project. My brain nearly exploded. (Couldn't do it worth a ####.) It amazed me when I finally got to sit in an ESPN truck during a Mavs playoff game. It was hard to keep up just watching it all.

The I&E committee is meeting in Indy this weekend. I'll pass this on to them.

Thanks Michael.

Thanks Michael.

And people say nothing good comes out of DCP!

For some unexplained reason my computer screen always goes blank when INT comes on. I was told that INT has had a very dark show the last couple of years, but can it be really that dark ?

This is because INT has issues every year trying to acquire rights. They are so disorganized that they wait until the last minute.

• Like 1

For some unexplained reason my computer screen always goes blank when INT comes on. I was told that INT has had a very dark show the last couple of years, but can it be really that dark ?

They are VERY good at dark shows!