Cadets Offer $1500. in tour credits for mellophone soloist

And once again, we have the same blind assumption being made as Johnnyboy. Please tell, how is it that you KNOW that NO OTHER world class corps are DOING or have ever done this (or something LIKE this)?

Stupid answer: Because no other corps has ever made a public announcement about it and that somehow MUST MEAN that no other corps has ever done it.

TRUE answer: Other corps have done it. You just don't know about it because they usually keep quiet about it (you are about to say "to hide it", aren't you.........NO.....not to "hide" anything........but because it's NONE OF YOUR #### BUSINESS!!!!). :doh:

That is why I said "doing this so overtly, and at this late a stage" - because no other corps has made a soloist offer like this so overtly, and at this late a stage. I am aware that similar deals have occurred behind the scenes, but that is a different story.

• Like 1

Yeah, and remember that BD doesn't provide housing or food during spring training. I don't know if the "six guys in a one bedroom apartment" thing is still the way it works out there during that time, but still... that's another expense.

For where the Cadets are located and for the services they provide, the fee is a little high, but not abnormally so. That said, I would not have been able to afford it were fees this high during my first year. I think it came out to around $1200 total that year -- 1998.

If costs were the same in my era (relative to inflation) there is no way I 'd have been able to afford it either.

Personally, I don't find the costs of summer-long drum corps high as compared to other high end summer music activities, such as Interlochen. Their 6-week summer HS orchestra and wind ensemble camp runs $7,585, from 6/23-8/6. The full New England Music camp runs $7,450 running from 6/24-8/13.

Does Madison still do the step down program that rewards people for being power vets? They had some guys in the early 2000's that were paying next to nothing to march.

Seems like they do, from perusing their web site. A nice decline in costs each year you march.

Yea, since Drum Corps press releases have BEEN SO TRUTHFUL in the last 5-7 years. If we believed them, every corps would be a gold medal corps and every single staff change would be for family reasons.

bahahhah

after reading

And to the soloist selected: If the soloist is a current member of a new selection, a donor to the Cadets' Maroon and Gold Giving Club has agreed to offer an additional $1,500 to use toward tour payments. The donor is a past mellophonist, a past Cadet, and a friend of the corps. He would prefer to remain anonymous but he has promised $1,500 for the person selected for this role with the corps.

The of I think should have been or

I think its all good

1) This is open to all members Current members Or new members So the its not fair comment is a wash because everyone has a chance.

2) The money is not coming out of YEA Budget it is being given by anonymous alumni ...

Maybe just maybe they had a change in design for the over all concept. Now they want the soloist to be sorta like Phantoms soloist a couple years back. So that would now leave a Mello blank. So they are using this to recruit said mello blank. (hey I have a chance to maybe get a solo & cut cost heck I will try why not i wasn't going to march anywhere yet so why not. )

Hey for all we know they had the Soloist. Maybe if it is like Phantoms show that person or persons want to march the full show.

We will never really know will we. Only those that are there. Wishing all the Corps (DCI, DCA, and all others ) the best in 2012.

Edited by CABADM

Can't find cost info on PR's site, but I perused a few other WC corps, and they all ran $2,500 - $3,000 in cost, not including travel costs and misc fees. Crown, Troopers, BD, Xmen, Scouts are some of the ones I looked at.

Boston's fee is $2450 for 2012, with discounts available both for early prepay and returning vets. Also, and I really like this one, BAC offers kids the chance to simply pay $200 a month for 12 months beginning in September..(and yes, the member does get a prorated refund if he or she gets cut along the way). This $200 a month ends up being less than $50 a week, which is much more manageable for many members. I think there is also a camp fee of $85 for each of the winter camps.

• Like 1

Boston's fee is $2450 for 2012, with discounts available both for early prepay and returning vets. Also, and I really like this one, BAC offers kids the chance to simply pay $200 a month for 12 months beginning in September..(and yes, the member does get a prorated refund if he or she gets cut along the way). This $200 a month ends up being less than $50 a week, which is much more manageable for many members. I think there is also a camp fee of $85 for each of the winter camps.

or they could just not spend the $50/week and then when the whole thing is due, they have the same amount of money as if they were paying all along.

I wish tour fees were cheaper to allow a broader range of kids with talent to have the possibility to participate. A scholarship like this probably widens that talent pool a bit.

That said, current tour fees are an absolute steal for what you get out of them.