Cadets Offer $1500. in tour credits for mellophone soloist

some corps have tremendously high tour fees... I've heard rumors of a few corps out there that are $3000+ per summer

Edited by TimbreDeBrass

If I was in that section, I'd be practicing harder.

Right on.

When did drum corps become the third-grade little league where everyone gets a turn at pitcher? It certainly wasn't that way back in the day. I remember one Blue Devils solo screamer a couple of decades back. BD had plucked him out of the Freelancer line. He was unapologetic about changing uniforms. They're paying my way, he said. I don't know whether any BD sops were offended by his presence. Either way, I'd bet they were impressed with his playing. We all were.

How many great solos would have been just mediocre had all those corps just settled for who showed up? The irony here (there's always irony in Cadets' threads) is now we're sensitive to feelings of Cadet kids. Some of the same voices who easily rationalized the booing at quarters in 2007 and said the Cadets kids just should suck it up now worry that a couple of mellos can't deal with the Cadet's quest for talent and excellence.

It's April not August. No one had a horn jerked out of his hand. No one has to tell her parents that someone else will play the solo on the DVD. All that's happened is that Cadets mellos graduated from the third grade to the big leagues where decisions are taken for the team not the individual. If they're disappointed that they didn't get the solo, then they ought to do something about it. Not complain. Practice. There's a lesson here for all of us.

HH

• Like 4

Right on.

When did drum corps become the third-grade little league where everyone gets a turn at pitcher? It certainly wasn't that way back in the day. I remember one Blue Devils solo screamer a couple of decades back. BD had plucked him out of the Freelancer line. He was unapologetic about changing uniforms. They're paying my way, he said. I don't know whether any BD sops were offended by his presence. Either way, I'd bet they were impressed with his playing. We all were.

How many great solos would have been just mediocre had all those corps just settled for who showed up? The irony here (there's always irony in Cadets' threads) is now we're sensitive to feelings of Cadet kids. Some of the same voices who easily rationalized the booing at quarters in 2007 and said the Cadets kids just should suck it up now worry that a couple of mellos can't deal with the Cadet's quest for talent and excellence.

It's April not August. No one had a horn jerked out of his hand. No one has to tell her parents that someone else will play the solo on the DVD. All that's happened is that Cadets mellos graduated from the third grade to the big leagues where decisions are taken for the team not the individual. If they're disappointed that they didn't get the solo, then they ought to do something about it. Not complain. Practice. There's a lesson here for all of us.

HH

Sir I think that you are forgetting that it wasn't the kids decision to add the voices to the '07 show. With all due respect, I'd take you for one of those fans who only payed attention to the voices and ignored the phenomenal marching and playing going on underneath.

Edited by TimbreDeBrass

I wish tour fees were cheaper to allow a broader range of kids with talent to have the possibility to participate. A scholarship like this probably widens that talent pool a bit.

That said, current tour fees are an absolute steal for what you get out of them.

Word. My daughter auditions this week for the high school dance team. Participation fee for the 2012-2013 season? $1,300. That doesn't include the $360 fee for a one-week summer camp. If she makes it, my $1,660 will get her instruction a few times a week, uniforms, one week of summer camp and travel (a few local hops plus nationals in someplace like Orlando). All in, a lot less than drum corps from this public school program. It's the reality today. Everything costs too much. Singling out drum corps isn't really relevant or useful.

HH - getting poorer every day

Right on.

I remember one Blue Devils solo screamer a couple of decades back. BD had plucked him out of the Freelancer line. He was unapologetic about changing uniforms. They're paying my way, he said. I don't know whether any BD sops were offended by his presence. Either way, I'd bet they were impressed with his playing. We all were.

Not exactly true.

Great player, great guy. Not how it went down.

Well... I'm only telling you what he told me. Directly. That summer. He told me. If you have a better source, then tell.

HH

Well.. better source would be, um, me... guy on the podium... flapping my arms... while he was parked some feet away, playing the notes.

• Like 1