BEST OF THE 2012 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Agree with TEAM FLORIDA this year ... one little mistake in the posting

U South Florida is BULLS

U Central Florida is Pegasus!

with the size of the states..Florida, Calif. and I think Texas should have many in finals....I remember the days when tiny NE states had several, some even from neighboring towns. Now thats impressive

with the size of the states..Florida, Calif. and I think Texas should have many in finals....I remember the days when tiny NE states had several, some even from neighboring towns. Now thats impressive

In ALL classes, there's at least one Texas Finalist :)

BEST SHOWING BY A SINGLE STATE

The State of Florida

Ok, I just need to say right up front that math never has been my strong suit. So, my accounting might be flawed. (And I trust that someone will let me know if I've made any errors...!!!)

But if my tabulations as correct, then I believe that Florida advanced more guards into their respective class Finals than any other state represented in Dayton this year.

Here's my list of the Florida groups that performed in Finals:

INDEPENDENT WORLD

Braddock Ind. ............... 6th place

SCHOLASTIC WORLD

Flanagan ................... 1st place

Seminole ................... 5th place

West Broward ............... 9th place

Timber Creek ............... 10th place

Tarpon Springs ............. 13th place

INDEPENDENT OPEN

U. South Florida Pegasus ... 2nd place

SCHOLASTIC OPEN

Freedom .................... 1st place

Nease ...................... 3rd place

Cypress Bay ................ 7th place

Cypress Creek .............. 13th place

INDEPENDENT A

U. of Central Florida ...... 5th place

MEDEA ...................... 15th place

SCHOLASTIC A

Taravella .................. 4th place

Lyman ...................... 6th place

Apopka ..................... 8th place

Robinson ................... 10th place

TOTAL: 17 finalists, including 2 Gold Medalists

OF NOTE: 8 of those finalists - nearly half of the total Florida units in Finals - placed in the top 5. (FYI: I included Braddock's 6th place finish in IW because minus their .1 penalty, their Finals performance tied Zydeco for 5th place.)

Way to go Florida...!!!!

:thumbup::smile::thumbup::smile::thumbup:

It is also worth noting that there were two Florida teams in Scholastic World finals from the same TOWN: both Flanagan and West Broward High Schools hail from Pembroke Pines, Florida. I believe this is a first for SW, pretty awesome!

It is also worth noting that there were two Florida teams in Scholastic World finals from the same TOWN: both Flanagan and West Broward High Schools hail from Pembroke Pines, Florida. I believe this is a first for SW, pretty awesome!

I believe W Broward is a break off school from Flanagan.....its like a few years back with Cypress Creek and Freedom HS

I believe W Broward is a break off school from Flanagan.....its like a few years back with Cypress Creek and Freedom HS

Close! Flanagan did split a bunch of years back, but the other school was called Everglades H.S. West Broward actually broke off from Everglades H.S. and Cypress Bay H.S.(who did extremely well in SO this season btw). :alien:

Oh, my gosh - that's RIGHT...!!!

Thanks to the fans who have pointed out an even COOLER fact about the Florida guards: Flanagan and West Broward are located in the SAME TOWN: Pembroke Pines.

Another 'neighborly' relationship worth noting is that Flanagan, West Broward, Cypress Bay and Taravella ALL are located in western suburbs of Broward County.

(Note: Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School also calls the western Broward suburbs home - and they're really turning a lot of heads in SO class. Hope we see them in Dayton again in the near future...!!!)

Must be something about practicing in close proximity to a 'river of grass' filled with alligators that makes those Broward County guards really, really, REALLY good.

:thumbup::smile::thumbup::smile::thumbup:

Close! Flanagan did split a bunch of years back, but the other school was called Everglades H.S. West Broward actually broke off from Everglades H.S. and Cypress Bay H.S.(who did extremely well in SO this season btw). :alien:

wasnt flanagan involved it that though? I remember friends on staff there so concerned that they were losing many band and guard students to W broward when it was formed...HMMMM actually maybe it was because boundries were changed in the school districts which did ( as they say ) affected them so students who went to Flanagan had to switch over when the new school was formed..

Not a first. Choctawhatchee HS had two guards in World finals several years ago.

wasnt flanagan involved it that though? I remember friends on staff there so concerned that they were losing many band and guard students to W broward when it was formed...HMMMM actually maybe it was because boundries were changed in the school districts which did ( as they say ) affected them so students who went to Flanagan had to switch over when the new school was formed..

I don't believe Flanagan has ever lost kids to WB. In 2003 they lost half of their 350 person band to Everglades H.S when the split happened, maybe that's what you're referring to?