Body/Dance movement

Body Movement  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Who makes the best use of body movement?

• The Cadets
    • The Blue Devils
    • The Cavaliers
    • Carolina Crown
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Bluecoats
    • Boston Crusaders
    • Blue Knights
    • Madison Scouts
    • Blue Stars
    • Spirit Of Atlanta

BUT back to speaking in general terms, I do agree that Crown's body is AWESOMELY well done. They execute better than the other "light pants" groups. They understand that if you are going to be moving with those pants on, you better be able to do that movement way better than a group with black pants.

My best example of this would be the difference between BlueCoats Creep and Crown last year. Can you imagine if Crown did that body movement!? They would have been ticked right off the field. But, when you have dark pants, you hide a lot of things. Can't hide anything when people can clearly see, at any point, your entire leg all the way to the tips of your toes. Kudos to CrownGuard staff and Leon May (with a strong guard/wgi background) on putting those kids in a position to suceed!

Not bashing you or anything, but are you suggesting that the bluecoats movement is messy? or would the drillwriting not work very well for crown's uniforms. because in my opinion, bluecoats did that bit pretty well.

• Like 1

..... A bit of jazz, tap, ballroom, Broadway....

A lot of people probably don't realize this but Madison has done this for decades. Go back and watch a few old clips of Ballet In Brass in the 80s and you will notice a lot of movement of that nature. And yet we treat dance as though it's a new thing.

Tim K, even though I snipped much of your post to isolate a good point (my apologies), I agree very much with your larger point in regards to variety. It doesn't just have to be the same type of stuff. There are many styles of dance that can be effective. Even the Bridgemen back in the day found ways to incorporate dance into drum corps. It's been around since at least the 80s (and even in the 70s you can find hints of it if you really look for it). Blue Devils even had some movement similar to what we see today in part of their 1988 show. VK danced too. Santa Clara definitely had some especially in 88 and 89 with their Phantom Of The Opera shows. Nothing new and I think Tim K brings up a great point, the more variety we can get in this element of drum corps, the more interesting it can become.

Edited by bmjfelts1988
  • Like 2

Not bashing you or anything, but are you suggesting that the bluecoats movement is messy? or would the drillwriting not work very well for crown's uniforms. because in my opinion, bluecoats did that bit pretty well.

I, personally, think that some of the Bluecoats' body movements were pretty messy. Watching them play "Creep" in the beginning of their show, it's not very together. The movements were there and were executed well, but it wasn't executed together. Almost like the attention to detail was lacking.

• Like 4

Yes, it was pretty dirty. Even by finals.

The timed passe section would not be clean enough for a group with white pants on, in a million years. You can even see it in the videos circulating all around "that site".

• Like 1

Your comment "it doesn't really fit" -- to me at least -- is like telling a modern dancer how dare you express yourself in something other than a predictable way. Predictable is BORING (ask Mia Michaels :-) I hear an unspoken "appropriate"

under your paragraph and .. well...that's another thread we ought to have.

Not that I completely disagree with this, but using this logic, Drum Corps as an activity (as a whole) is completely unjudgeable.

Not that I completely disagree with this, but using this logic, Drum Corps as an activity (as a whole) is completely unjudgeable.

I disagree.

There's a subtle but important difference between evaluating what the designer has chosen and substituting your "taste" for theirs.

An open mind says "oh cool I wouldn't have never thought of doing it that way" and a closed mind says " *I* would have done it *this* way" -- even if they never admit to having that internal dialogue, it's what happens.

• Like 1

I disagree.

There's a subtle but important difference between evaluating what the designer has chosen and substituting your "taste" for theirs.

An open mind says "oh cool I wouldn't have never thought of doing it that way" and a closed mind says " *I* would have done it *this* way" -- even if they never admit to having that internal dialogue, it's what happens.

Hehehe, you sound like some of the people in critique I've been around.

Whatever corps Jude Boughton is teaching at. He teaches body/dance to non-dancers better than just about anyone. Rep wise, he sometimes bites off a little more than the groups can chew (I.E. 2003 Phantom Regiment), but the stuff he does is top notch. I also like that he educates instead of "rote" teaches body/dance. People in his corps that have learned movement with him are familiar with the nomenclature of what they are doing, so not only does he educate that group, but he opens the door for that education to flow into all the other groups affiliated with every member of every corps he's taught with.

That would be Spirit of Atlanta

Definitly think the corps' that make the most of body movement are:

The Blue Devils

The Cavaliers

Carolina Crown

The Bluecoats

I would categorize BD/Cavies in style then Crown/Coats together.

BD/Cavies while they both have their grandious moments tend to be more subtle and less of it.

Crown/Coats tend to be more in your face and there's alot more of it, hence some of the criticisms and problems in cleanliness. I'm not gonna lie, "Creep" was one of my favorite musical moments of 2011, but there was way too much body work in that opening segment. I also agree with other posters that at times it was not clean causing distraction to an otherwise beautiful drum corps moment. Sometimes less = more.

• Like 1