Crossmen 2012 - Fragile

Godzilla wasn't the same when GodZooky came on the scene.........

Groovy stuff.

Listened to all the originals. Definitely has the potential for the true Crossmen feel. And I very much trust Chuck.

I completely agree.

I listened to all the original works and boy, what a great selection this year. Chuck will work his magic as well as the entire staff and members. I have no doubt they will work hard to bring the total package to the field this year. I posted the original music at the end of my post for your convenience. (Not sure is these are the ACTUAL versions being arranged, but you get the idea) Go Bones.

Michael Jackson - Earth Song

Bobby McFerrin’s "Wailers"

Anoushka Shankar’s "PD7"

Peter Gabriel - Here Comes The Flood

Pat Metheny - Finding and Believing

Edited by dciboy2000
  • Like 2

While and electric sitar is within the allowable instrument use rules by DCI, I believe that raising the hair on the back of your neck with the brass and percussion is a far more intense and visceral effect.

Hmmm...you can get some sounds from a sitar that will not only raise the hair on the back of your neck, your fillings will fall out!

:smile:

• Like 2

Right on Chuck!! And that's why I'm so glad you are with the Crossmen!

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

I know you're shtick here is to always be devil's advocate for all things new and modern... and fancy yourself progressive. That's cool. :yin-yang:

However...

That's why I'd go see Anoushka Shankar and Karsh Kale in person for state-of-the-art electronic sitar music.

On the other hand, I would not go to an Indian Music concert and expect to be wowed by the brass.

I prefer to let each idiom do what it does best. If we're as good a drum corps as Anoushka Shankar is a sitar player, we'll be in very, very good shape my friend.

It's not about the choice of instrument. It's about the performance.

Just because you CAN use something, doesn't make it the right choice.

:music:

Chuck Naffier

you should speak at every designers clinic in this activity

• Like 6

To quote Garfield Cadets, circa 1977, "AMEN!"

:smile:

Hi Mike,

I know you're shtick here is to always be devil's advocate for all things new and modern... and fancy yourself progressive. That's cool. :yin-yang:

However...

That's why I'd go see Anoushka Shankar and Karsh Kale in person for state-of-the-art electronic sitar music.

On the other hand, I would not go to an Indian Music concert and expect to be wowed by the brass.

I prefer to let each idiom do what it does best. If we're as good a drum corps as Anoushka Shankar is a sitar player, we'll be in very, very good shape my friend.

It's not about the choice of instrument. It's about the performance.

:music:

Chuck Naffier

I agree it is about the performance. Last year you wrote great stuff for Ewi and Electric Violin that fit the brass arrangements and show. It worked because it matched the right music with the right performers. Not right for every situation. But when it is the right fit, the tools are now there for arrangers to explore a lot of new sounds and textures.