Carolina Crown 2012

Crown is going to have a HECK of a time cleaning this show.

But if they can, they'll win it all. Simple as that. There isn't another corps out there this year that has a program that can match up to the demands of this show.

That said, it's a big if. Getting this show up to "Blue Devils clean" levels is definitely going to be a challenge.

• Like 2

Love the show so far. One of the hardest brass books I've heard in a long time.

***I don't mean for this to sound condescending or negative***

Can someone help me better understand the show concept? I've read the description several times and have seen the show a few times, but I am more or less lost. I know it's early season and most shows will develop their concepts as the summer goes along, but I really want to get behind this show's story since I love the rest of the program so much. Anyone?

This is the best I've heard it described so far from someone on here. One of the members gave me a long description of it a couple days before they left on tour and this sums it up pretty much perfectly (said a lot better than I would be able to say).

"With great power comes great responsibility.

From what I have been told. It's the contrast of fantasy, super human, and the common man, strength and power as a unified whole. Hence the whole corps in cream in the fanfare Copland, and the super hero costume in the "dreams" fantasy part. Both are ways to achieve a greater good. Or in crowns case, a common good. "

But if they can, they'll win it all. Simple as that. There isn't another corps out there this year that has a program that can match up to the demands of this show.

That said, it's a big if. Getting this show up to "Blue Devils clean" levels is definitely going to be a challenge.

Just watched it on Fan Network...

It has what I call Prometheus Syndrome. The previews left more to the imagination, and the imagination was better than the movie. It also tried to be too much. I can't quite place why, but after seeing some of the YouTube vids out there, I was hoping for a tighter design. Some of the transitions seemed forced or disjointed... I don't know exactly. Overall, it just left me a little... flummoxed, I guess.

That having been said, it is BY FAR the most difficult show Crown's ever attempted. There are some amazingly awesome brass moments that will continue to get even more amazingly awesome as the season progresses. And the drill.... It was frenzied, but it didn't feel focused. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the dirt, but I felt like I was watching a Cadet-like closer for their entire opener. I'm usually all for that kind of demand, but this just seemed like overkill to me for some reason.

The body... I'm just never gonna' like it. Not just when Crown does it. It's a corps wide thing. I find it contrite no matter who's on the field. That section in the middle of the show, I felt like I was watching a synchronized swimming competition that wasn't entirely synchronized. Yes, it'll look better when cleaned, but honestly. What about superheroes or common men are you trying to convey to me by pointing your toes in the air?

Overall, I think Crown has a vehicle that can take them to a championship. But it will need cleaning. And a lot of it.

Edited by chaddyt
  • Like 1

This is it, folks. Just as 23434234 people have said, this is a show that would win the championship in August. I dont think anyone cleans quite like the Cadets or Blue Devils, but if they can find that magic touch, this years is theirs (at least of the corps I've seen so far). I think SCV is going to be much higher than previous years.. I'm excited. GO CROWN!

Can someone help me better understand the show concept? I've read the description several times and have seen the show a few times, but I am more or less lost. I know it's early season and most shows will develop their concepts as the summer goes along, but I really want to get behind this show's story since I love the rest of the program so much. Anyone?

Hooray for no concept lol. I'm usually not sharp enough to keep up with any theme unless it's blatant as hell...I'm usually looking to see if the visual reflects the energy the music is giving me. Any over-arching stuff above and beyond that which I'm lucky enough to comprehend is gravy for me.

• Like 1

Let the record show that I love Crown's show this year and can't wait to see it clean up and develop. That is all.

• Like 4

Once they can clean this thing up, it will be a complete beast out there.

Just two things-

Maybe add some color to the guard uniforms? I agree that they kind of blend in after awhile

Add some velcro to the front flaps, so when they go to the white/gold scheme, we don't see flashes of black when they do the body movement? It messed up the effect, for me at least.

Just keep cleaning Crown. This could be your year, and I think I'd be happy with that. I'm a huge Copland fan, so seeing Common Man is a huge plus for me. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Maybe add some color to the guard uniforms? I agree that they kind of blend in after awhile

They lose the "superhero" uniforms halfway through the show when they transition to the "common person" theme; hence, the entire corps in the cream/gold look. I don't know anyone in the guard so someone correct me if I'm wrong but looked to me like only 1 show flag was in so far so there could still be some more color coming from that aspect of the show.

That's the thing, though. Crown is never "Blue Devils clean". They've written the show too difficult and now have to figure out how they can beat corps who write within their means and perform it near-flawlessly.

• Like 1

That's the thing, though. Crown is never "Blue Devils clean". They've written the show too difficult and now have to figure out how they can beat corps who write within their means and perform it near-flawlessly.

Get used to this line of reasoning folks. I'm bored with it already :sleeping: I for one love this show, and can't wait to see how it evolves!

Edited by Kevin.
  • Like 1