Carolina Crown 2012

Love the show so far. One of the hardest brass books I've heard in a long time.

***I don't mean for this to sound condescending or negative***

Can someone help me better understand the show concept? I've read the description several times and have seen the show a few times, but I am more or less lost. I know it's early season and most shows will develop their concepts as the summer goes along, but I really want to get behind this show's story since I love the rest of the program so much. Anyone?

I'm going to take a stab at this after viewing the show about 3 or 4 times along with Klesch's comments. I'm going to try and explain it in the most simplistic way. Here goes:

The show is separated into two parts - strength as an individual and strength as a group.

First half one-liner analysis: Showing off the fight for good through superhuman strength of individuals and raw adrenaline-packed moments.

I noticed in the first half of the show there are many solos/solis from the different ensembles whether it was a trio of hornline members playing or random guard members doing "superhuman" tosses and gymnastics. Also, the drill is a lot more frenetic in the front half and I assume when cleaned, will be a "controlled chaos." It's almost like each section is fighting for a different kind of "good."

Second half one-liner analysis: Showing off the sheer power of a community fighting for the same good.

The second half is where the corps comes together as, like Klesch said, a community and coincidentally, this is where we get all the delicious "ensemble" moments (see what I did there :cool: ). From ballad push to the monster dissonant to resolution chord in the end, we really see and more importantly hear the sheer power of what a community of people can do if they're fighting for the same good. The first half only teased us with these moments, albeit very powerful moments. And while the first half was a controlled chaos of individual strength, the second half becomes a more structured showcase of community strength, which I believe the cubes symbolize.

With all of this said, I think as the show gets cleaner, the concept will get clearer. Even if you don't understand the concept, you're instinctively getting it - just look at how you're watching the show. The first half there are many quick but obvious focal points in the show where you're zeroing in on certain people or areas and in the second half you're watching the corps as a whole in really spread out drill – you feel this sense of combined power through the more unified playing, marching and spinning.There's a clear contrast between the two parts.

I hope this is correct, Crown. If not, just pretend like it is. :tongue:

P.S. I'm going to reiterate everyone else's POV and say that I too believe this could be a real contender in August!

• Like 4

I'm going to take a stab at this after viewing the show about 3 or 4 times along with Klesch's comments. I'm going to try and explain it in the most simplistic way. Here goes:

The show is separated into two parts - strength as an individual and strength as a group.

First half one-liner analysis: Showing off the fight for good through superhuman strength of individuals and raw adrenaline-packed moments.

I noticed in the first half of the show there are many solos/solis from the different ensembles whether it was a trio of hornline members playing or random guard members doing "superhuman" tosses and gymnastics. Also, the drill is a lot more frenetic in the front half and I assume when cleaned, will be a "controlled chaos." It's almost like each section is fighting for a different kind of "good."

Second half one-liner analysis: Showing off the sheer power of a community fighting for the same good.

The second half is where the corps comes together as, like Klesch said, a community and coincidentally, this is where we get all the delicious "ensemble" moments (see what I did there :cool: ). From ballad push to the monster dissonant to resolution chord in the end, we really see and more importantly hear the sheer power of what a community of people can do if they're fighting for the same good. The first half only teased us with these moments, albeit very powerful moments. And while the first half was a controlled chaos of individual strength, the second half becomes a more structured showcase of community strength, which I believe the cubes symbolize.

With all of this said, I think as the show gets cleaner, the concept will get clearer. Even if you don't understand the concept, you're instinctively getting it - just look at how you're watching the show. The first half there are many quick but obvious focal points in the show where you're zeroing in on certain people or areas and in the second half you're watching the corps as a whole in really spread out drill – you feel this sense of combined power through the more unified playing, marching and spinning.There's a clear contrast between the two parts.

I hope this is correct, Crown. If not, just pretend like it is. :tongue:

P.S. I'm going to reiterate everyone else's POV and say that I too believe this could be a real contender in August!

Really good!!!

They lose the "superhero" uniforms halfway through the show when they transition to the "common person" theme; hence, the entire corps in the cream/gold look. I don't know anyone in the guard so someone correct me if I'm wrong but looked to me like only 1 show flag was in so far so there could still be some more color coming from that aspect of the show.

Hopefully that helps them out. I do like when they're all in the same color palette, but without at least some color, I kept losing who was who out there.

• Like 1

It's a series of cubes...

What you did there.... I saw it.

I really like Crown's show - particularly the way Fanfare for the Common Man is written. They have mastered one of it's most notable characteristics - it is both hopeful and haunting.

The way the percussion is placed around the field produces a "thundering" effect which also gives an additional depth to the piece.

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 1

Had to miss the cinema show, but having watched the Louisville VOD I have to agree that on video anyway the corps feels very washed out. Especially at the end, but really for the whole thing.

That said, if the music and drill are good, I will love your show, regardless of the uniforms or flag colors, and the music and the drill in this show are #### good. :worthy:

I did not expect to find myself crying at the end of any show this early and this fresh, no matter how good it was, but Crown did it to me. The full-out Fanfare section follwed up by the closer are just magical.

There's a lot left to do, both in terms of adding details and cleaning, obviously, but this truly is a show that, if perfected, could win the Championship, and however much I enjoyed the shows, that was not something I felt I could say about Crown's 2010 or 2011 outings (2009, now that was something incredible--not sure if even this show can live up to that one for me).

Good luck, Crown! Can't wait to see you live in Muncie!

• Like 1

Had to miss the cinema show, but having watched the Louisville VOD I have to agree that on video anyway the corps feels very washed out. Especially at the end, but really for the whole thing.

That said, if the music and drill are good, I will love your show, regardless of the uniforms or flag colors, and the music and the drill in this show are #### good. :worthy:

I did not expect to find myself crying at the end of any show this early and this fresh, no matter how good it was, but Crown did it to me. The full-out Fanfare section follwed up by the closer are just magical.

Yep.

When I heard they were doing Fanfare as the "ballad" , I was WTF ?? Really??

But when you see it in the context of the show it's absolutely the perfect choice. Magical is exactly right!

• Like 3

All I've seen is the Louisville APD, and only once. That said -- I respect and might like the craziness of the opener; volume is great, of course; I'm lost for about 4 minutes in the middle, musically and visually; the guard cubes and then the drill cube is COOL COOL COOL. A very interesting show.

I'm heading out to see Crown rehearse on Friday in Kissimmee, FL ahead of their Saturday performance in Orlando. I was just wondering if they typically conclude ensemble rehearsal with a run-through or if it's more a mixed bag of different portions of the show. Anyone know?

**I'll be at the show on Saturday. Just curious- excited to see the rehearsal either way!

Edited by Kevin.

I'm heading out to see Crown rehearse on Friday in Kissimmee, FL ahead of their Saturday performance in Orlando. I was just wondering if they typically conclude ensemble rehearsal with a run-through or if it's more a mixed bag of different portions of the show. Anyone know?

Most times they end with a run but they may air-valve some parts of the show. So it's always good to get there after lunch to catch them playing all parts of the show :-)

edit: Just clicked that this is a rehearsal day not a show day so ensemble would be after dinner not lunch :doh: (which also means you'll probably get a real run!) .

Edited by corpsband