Jupiter Brass/Quality Control

I had a perfect .gif for this but DCP doesn't allow .gifs...thanks DCP for ruining my joke.

I think this one will do:

deadhorse.gif

... And I am actually friends with multiple people who marched Jupiters all summer, including the baritone soloist from the Boston Crusaders last year and he said he MUCH rather prefers the King horn they used to use, and having played on the Jupiter horns myself I strongly agree with them...

Wow! What a coincidence... I am too! And they say quite the opposite. Sorry to burst your bubble, but not everyone is going to hate Jupiter the way you're hoping for. Whatever reason that is.

However, I am curious. Are you talking about the stock Jupiter line from your store that you've tooted on a few times or the Quantum line that 10 drum corps and multiple colleges are using on a daily basis? Also, an interesting choice of subject for your fist post on DCP. Why is that?

• Like 3

However, I am curious. Are you talking about the stock Jupiter line from your store that you've tooted on a few times or the Quantum line that 10 drum corps and multiple colleges are using on a daily basis?

That was going to be my question. Jupiter was a student grade supplier for many years before they introduced the Quantum product line. Some of those student grade trumpets probably still sit in music stores today. Is that what prompted this whole rant?

• Like 1

My only thought of why a corps would keep using these horns would financial issues (Jupiter being the cheapest) or that they are stuck in some sort of contract, that of which they cannot get out of for some number or years.

Or, you know, Jupiter provides compensation to them in exchange for using the horns? That has been pretty common over the years with sponsorships of drums, drum heads, and even some cases of brass.

Boston's brass sound in 2011 was arguably the best they've ever had. Chad Pence and his team are doing amazing things with those players, and the brass scores last summer bears this out. I can't see where the Jupiter horn selection was an impediment to this. Now, while I am a supporter of the corps, I do NOT officially speak for it. So, the following is my own opinion....when the corps management made the decision to switch to Jupiter/Mapex/Majestic, it is quite probable that the overall benefits(both performance wise and financially) to the corps were the driving force behind the decision.

As for BAC's bari soloist, I also know Charlie. Like all great players (which he is), he has his personal preferences. Having said that, Charlie is one of the most dedicated and loyal members of that corps, and he would be the first one to say that the horn choice which benefits the corps most overall is the proper one.

Finally, (and I really can't believe I'm saying this), DanielRay's post is spot on. :smile:

• Like 1

deadhorse.gif

Wow! What a coincidence... I am too! And they say quite the opposite. Sorry to burst your bubble, but not everyone is going to hate Jupiter the way you're hoping for. Whatever reason that is.

However, I am curious. Are you talking about the stock Jupiter line from your store that you've tooted on a few times or the Quantum line that 10 drum corps and multiple colleges are using on a daily basis? Also, an interesting choice of subject for your fist post on DCP. Why is that?

Have you ever played a Jupiter Quantum trumpet? Have you? Ever? I'm saying that yes EVENTUALLY they will sound alright but not compared to Xenos or Kings with a lot less effort. That is pure fact, no matter what. And who in the hell do you know that marched Jupiter that liked it? Correction, in the high brass?

Which surely goes to prove that if played well they sound as good as any other make of horn.

But at a lot more effort as every other brand. If the same effort going into playing Jupiter horns were put into a more quality horn it would sound fantastic, not just alright.

• Like 2

deadhorse.gif

And the Quantum line is much lower in quality than its concert line horn line, I have played both- the Quantum series for an entire summer, so I think I can have an opinion

Just a little advice, lighten up on the Wheaties and don't burn bridges, which you're close to doing when you start bashing on companies that help support your means of living. You never know who is looking at these threads. And I'm sure the director of who you marched with wouldn't like your little rant as well, and since there are 10 corps that use Quantum, and 2 of those are DCA corps, it can be easily narrowed down. Just sayin'.

Edited by skajerk
  • Like 1