Michael Boo

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,424 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

1989 Phantom Regiment is DCI DVD Spotlight of the Week

With special DVD offer of 20% off
This is my signature because I'm told I should have one even though I use my real name as my screen name.

#2 MikeN

MikeN

Consigliere

• Consigliere
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,334 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:52 PM

One of the greatest shows ever. That's pretty much all I can say about it. (Other than, holy cow, the wings on those jackets used to be huge!)

Mike

#3 DrumManTx

DrumManTx

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

This is the first DCI show I ever saw when I found out what we were doing my fresmen year! I barley knew anything about marching band let alone drum corps when I watched it. Will always have a special place in my heart. And yes, we were one of the bazillion high schools to copy it, only because it's so awesome. :inlove:

I love the groovy take on the ballad section, really spiced it up.

#4 UP Drumline

UP Drumline

DCP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

Every time I watch this show, I convince myself a little bit more that they should've won... Posted Image

#5 hostrauser

hostrauser

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

Every time I watch this show, I convince myself a little bit more that they should've won... Posted Image

They should have. They were better than SCV in every area except percussion. Visual scores were way too tight; gap between SCV and Phantom in percussion should have been equaled by Phantom over SCV in visual.

FDbanner.png
Forward Dynamics, Oregon, WI - DCPI Season XXI (Winter 2014) - Celebrating William Shakespeare's 450th Birthday!

- Polaris Regiment (World Class) "Titus Andronicus"
- The Marauders (Open Class) "Macbeth"
- Xothyme (Class A) "Much Ado About Nothing"

#6 DWEST

DWEST

DCP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

The show I threw crap at the tv when 2nd place was announced in my basement.
Girlfriend thought I went crazy.

#7 wvu80

wvu80

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

I remember what I thought when I first saw that show in Canton, Ohio early season. Phantom was always one of my favorite corps, but placement-wise they had fallen on hard times, 1985 placed 8, then 10th, 5th, then 6th in 1988. They started soft, then just opened up with a HUGE sound. Man, they were fantastic, and the crowd went nuts, standing O by the always knowledgeable mid-west crowd, right off the bat, early season. Then a standing O a minute later for the end of the opener when Phantom again just cranked the sound and went into the wedge formation with the kick out.

1989 was a great year for drum corps, and as usual, it wasn't just because of final placements, but also because of the story lines; Phantom was BACK!

#8 Fan Mom

Fan Mom

DCP Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

What was the t-shirt they sold back then? Something like "See the wedge... Hear the wedge" - - Anyone remember?

#9 HOOKEDBYLEGEND78

HOOKEDBYLEGEND78

DCP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

The end of that opener at Finals is one of THE MOST INTENSE/FOCUSED BRASS MOMENTS I've ever witnessed/heard first-hand. When they brought their horns down at the end of the opener, I saw fangs on the brassline (mad dog after raw meat, not-to-be-denied mentality)! I thought they had pulled out the victory at Finals, but, alas, another 2nd place finish for Phantom. This brass line was SO POWERFUL, the classical counterparts to Madison's '95 line. That baritone solo echoing off the back stands is nothing short of brilliant.

#10 Guardguy89

Guardguy89

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:01 PM

I loved this show!!!! We competed against them all summer and only managed to beat them once. They started the season strong and just kept building on that!!! Great show - and I was sure that they had won come finals.

Later,
Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please review Drum Corps Planet's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
The contents of this site are copyright (C) 2005-2010 DCP Partners, LLC and all rights are reserved. Requests for use may be directed to the DCP Office.
Drum Corps Planet™ and the DCP logo are trademarks of DCP Partners, LLC. All rights reserved. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.