1989 Phantom Regiment is DCI DVD Spotlight of the Week

The right corps won that night but 1989 Phantom is an unbelievable show by an amazing corps.

I see you're titling this show "From the New World ... into a New Age" even though (as hostrauser noted), Phantom Regiment's own website lists it only as "New World Symphony".

Great show. "Judges, are you watching?" This remained the highest-scoring second-place finals performance for 14 years, and in fact, only five first-place finals shows ever have earned a higher score.

You offer some fine commentary, as usual.

They was robbed, probably they was mugged, too. I don't care how well their execution and marching were, but Vanguard's music was awful. There is no good Andrew Lloyd Webber music and the professional critics agree. PR played a great musical book and executed it well.

Oh well, I can't change history.

Kevin

• Like 2

I loved this show!!!! We competed against them all summer and only managed to beat them once. They started the season strong and just kept building on that!!! Great show - and I was sure that they had won come finals.

Later,

Mike

I was in the audience at ...

Friday June 16, 1989

Goshen IN DCM

1 Phantom Regiment 72.100

2 Star of Indiana 68.900

3 Bluecoats 63.700

4 Colts 46.100

5 Glassmen 38.400

6 Quad City Knights 37.800

7 Northmen (WI) 22.700

8 Guardsmen 17.900

Their first show. They were soooo strong and mature out of the gate that it was almost criminal. Blew the crowd away. I'd love to see ANY corps come out ready to rock like that on June 16th nowadays.

Edited by mingusmonk

I see you're titling this show "From the New World ... into a New Age" even though (as hostrauser noted), Phantom Regiment's own website lists it only as "New World Symphony".

Great show. "Judges, are you watching?" This remained the highest-scoring second-place finals performance for 14 years, and in fact, only five first-place finals shows ever have earned a higher score.

Well, I was there in 89 (marching with Suncoast) and I know for a fact that the show was titled as Mike refers to it, at least it was in 1989. And 100% agree... phenomenal show. I got the incredible joy of standing about 10 feet in front of their arc for their victory concert at DCI South... incredible.

Thank you. The title is what the corps (perhaps Michael Cesario) gave me for the program books and the CD liner notes.

What I specifically remember about the night of Finals, more than anything else, is moving to sit right over the exit tunnel after the Finals finale, and having my bone structure re-arranged by Regiment as they came off the field playing E.E. Bagley's march, "National Emblem." The corps hit the tunnel just as the low brass entered the melodic section just after the four-note key change, and they delivered it with such an intensity that I think I could easily be forgiven for wondering if the concrete under my feet might start to crumble. It was INTENSE. Someone sitting next to me turned and said, "They're mad." I don't remember my response, but it should have been, "No, they're Phantom Regiment."

• Like 4

They was robbed, probably they was mugged, too. I don't care how well their execution and marching were, but Vanguard's music was awful. There is no good Andrew Lloyd Webber music and the professional critics agree. PR played a great musical book and executed it well.

Oh well, I can't change history.

Kevin

Nothing says legitimate classical music like a full snare line cymbal ride up on the front sideline.

• Like 4

Nothing says legitimate classical music like a full snare line cymbal ride up on the front sideline.

juxtaposition... tongue.gif