1989 Phantom Regiment is DCI DVD Spotlight of the Week

Nothing says legitimate classical music like a full snare line cymbal ride up on the front sideline.

:huh:

Nothing says legitimate classical music like marching brass, marching drums, flags and rifles. :doh:

• Like 7

Boo's comment points to the excellence and power PR displayed that year. I stand by my comments.

Kevin

• Like 1

I don't care how well their execution and marching were, but Vanguard's music was awful. There is no good Andrew Lloyd Weber music and the professional critics agree.

Interestingly, I once skimmed a history-of-music book written ca. 1920 that described Dvorak as a very minor composer and the New World Symphony as being a work of no importance. Who knows how history will come to view Andrew Lloyd Weber. For myself, I think that Santa Clara Vanguard's arrangements of ALW are superior to the original.

• Like 2

One of the greatest shows ever. That's pretty much all I can say about it. (Other than, holy cow, the wings on those jackets used to be huge!)

Mike

a drumline away from a title....

For as long as we've had DCP (heck, RAMD before) folks have brought up that cymbal section. I've honestly never been sure what the big deal was.

Mike

I thought it was cool, just dirty when they went to the snare. same issue in 91

Power & Passion.

THANK YOU! I didn't know that video was out there.

I would show this to any snob who thinks drum corps is a toy version of "real" music.

• Like 2

THANK YOU! I didn't know that video was out there.

I would show this to any snob who thinks drum corps is a toy version of "real" music.

You're welcome. Being the super Phan that I am, I'm in the loop with stuff like this.

Apparently the symphony patrons were not sure of what to make of this performance...according to what I've heard. You can definitely tell that there were plenty of drum corps fans in the audience who let their enthusiasm be shown.