No preseason movie broadcast?

perhaps the early shows are a bit dirty but in those shows you get to see some of the more interesting ideas the corps had in mind. I love it myself but yea it is nice to be able to see an August show also.

You mean people don't want to pay money to watch corps perform shows that are immensely dirty and most likely missing a minute or more of drill?

:thumbdown: Come on. Anybody who goes to a show in early June knows, or should know, that everybody looks like crap then. Personally, I like it as a sort of benchmark for seeing them later in the season.

• Like 1

There are generally two shows in my area each year. One is during the first week and the other is always end of July/beginning of August. 50 yard line seats halfway up at the first show are $25. At the second show the same seats are $40. (Not in the same stadium) Both of these shows have a similar number of corps attending each year. Both of these shows are home shows for the same corps. So based on the "get what you pay for" argument they are pricing the tickets accordingly.

This sounds like a reasonable approach, imo ' Have lower ticket prices for early season shows, premium ticket prices for perhaps similar lineups of Corps later in the season when the shows are more complete and more polished. I'm not so sure we see this with show ticket prices though... at least not in shows in my area that I've attended over the years, both early in the season and later in the season. But not to quibble, as it appears you've gotten these things taken into consideration at shows in your region. I guess my appettite to see a Drum Corps show is such that I'm willing to pay premium ticket prices for incomplete shows, and I guess that's my choice, and so I shouldn't complain( and won't ) as I know what early season shows tend to be like. And like you, I do go to support the show sponsors too. So I go and won't complain. That said, I 'd like to see judges maybe downgrade the scores a bit more of Corps where it's clear the show was incomplete. Let a few of these Corps with complete shows beat a name Corps or two early in the season that had incomplete shows, and maybe Corps would try harder to be ready for the 1st couple of shows of the seasson in the future. Its not like they didn't know the date of the 1st couple of shows for, in most cases, a half a year or more in advance.

Edited by BRASSO

right... personally I think the classic countdown was a better model. But as I said in my post that got lots of negatives, DCI has decided that showing lower quality shows from the current year is a better decision. Hopefully they have the stats and market research to back that decision up. I personally would rather see some great finished shows on the big screen, but I accept that I might be in the minority.

(and to the posters who commented that last year most of the shows were done for the theater broadcast... yes, I addressed that as well in my post that has all the negatives)

actually the countdown wore out its welcome. older fans wanted older shows, younger fans wanted newer shows. many people had everything on dvdat home and didn't feel like paying to sit and watch what they already owned.

getting an early season show out there helps wet the whistle of fans starving for drum corps, and can help build interest in the product hopefully coming their way later in the year.

I would imagine seeing fan friendlier shows early last year helped get people more into going out to see a show last year. I know several people that gave the theater a shot, liked what they saw and decided to see stuff live later in the year.

actually the countdown wore out its welcome. older fans wanted older shows, younger fans wanted newer shows. many people had everything on dvdat home and didn't feel like paying to sit and watch what they already owned.

getting an early season show out there helps wet the whistle of fans starving for drum corps, and can help build interest in the product hopefully coming their way later in the year.

I would imagine seeing fan friendlier shows early last year helped get people more into going out to see a show last year. I know several people that gave the theater a shot, liked what they saw and decided to see stuff live later in the year.

that's good then. If the early season movie presentation gets more people to see the live shows later, then it is doing its job. I know I go see the shows when they come by my area later in the season regardless of what is (or is not) on display in the movie theater, so it is not going to change my live show habits. If it does for other people, then that is excellent and I hope DCI is getting new fans from it. :thumbup: