When was that trick added?

2006 Regiment...the trademark chevron was finals only (appropriate for their 50th anniversary show)....darned if I can remember how it ended at semis, tho.

2008 BD...the DM running through the line on the last few bars was also finals only, IIRC.

• Like 1

You want real change...there was talk of having the girl come back out in the pre-dci green satin blouse and black skirt uni.

That would have been amazing. As it was, one of my favorite endings anyway.

That would have been amazing. As it was, one of my favorite endings anyway.

I dunno....maybe it's because I'm so used to seeing her come out in the white outfit, but I don't think an old-school uni would've gone over as well. Now in 07 perhaps...or maybe in 2017.

And besides....the choice between seeing her in tunic/skirt/boots or seeing her in the white harem outfit.....harem outfit wins, no contest!! :tongue:

2CoolVk!

In regards to the shark used in 92, I had the same curiousity when brainstorming some of the gags with the staff in 2010. I had the honor of working with the brass guy from 92 and if I can recall the story accurately it went like so...

Yes, on tour VK stopped at a high school, but it turns out that in that town there had been some sort of a parade in which the shark float was used and no longer needed. They offered the shark to VK, but they couldn't take it seeing as how all the equipment was jam packed. The fans with the shark asked where finals would be and said they'd deliver the shark there. Having almost forgotten about that, finals morning, a pick up truck with the shark float pulls into the lot and delivers the shark to VK. They even had to ask (I think it was the baritones) to change their closing set back like 5 yards to avoid hitting the shark.

Sure enough, if you look at semi finals...no shark

http://youtu.be/xEoEOoMN5WE

But if you see the finals performance, we all know that shark was there, and I think that's why the crowd went crazy! Also if you see the finals performance carefully enough, a horn player practically steps on the shark in the closing set :p

2coolVK!

• Like 2

If you watch the 1985 dvd, you can see them start to grip the velcro as they are entering the tunnel. Especially as they speed up for the last set of people going through. I have to say, velcro or not, that is still impressive how quickly they get them off. i wonder if earlier in the season, if they had problems with people not being able to get them off quick enough. i really wish i could have seen the first show when they did the change that season.

The advantage of seeing them so often throughout CA and the rest of tour was watching the change from the end zone. Now that was a sight!

Over the years, there have been some pretty cool endings. As the years roll by, the timing on them slips as to when they added them.

Does anyone remember what part of the season any of the following things were added, feel free to add your own favorite end of season changes.

SCV Bottle Dance fiasco(no offense meant to the Vanguard). I am sorry I can't remember the year, but I remember SCV pulling bottle dance out at finals, and while it sounded pretty cool that night, looking back at the video, the crowd just was so overwhelmingly loud that the corps lost all sense of timing. Probably one of the more insane crowd moments. I remember seeing the faces on a few of the colorguard members as they were trying to pull it together, realizing the the hornline, drumline and drum majors were on 3 separate counts(maybe more)

I think it was less crowd noise and stadium echo, and more the DM missing the cue (didn't count to 4 properly) - was there, saw the gaffe, and watched/listened to the ensuing wreckage.

• 1 month later...

Did Mr. Moto ("I march." Best answer ever) bust through the cymbal V before finals...or was that just a finals-only bit?

Busting through the V was starting in Denver. The only thing added for finals was the motoing onto the field and splitting off from the corps (you can see the last part of it on high cam) before meeting the color guard member on the 40 for the kick off of the show.

Was the DNA drill in Cav's 95 Planets show finals-only as well? I seem to remember hearing that. Sick move.