Cadets "job" openings

A lot of assumptions being made on this thread and most are not exactly accurate.

The Cadets have a good size business staff, which is well run. There are some vacancies, and when they see fit to try to fill them they will advertize.

As Director, and absent an HR person on the staff, it is totally appropriate for Hop to sign off on job descriptions. We shouldn't assume that because he did, he writes them. They have a library of job descriptions, handbooks on how to write them, and staff members who know how to handle them.

Hop doesn't need to stay in the office when he already has full-time business managers capable of handling all business matters. I have seen their tax return (public information available from the IRS), and they are in good shape. It may not be the same model as 10 and 20 years ago, so it probably has evolved, and look at the expansion in programs, USBBA, inner city music education, C2

As for communications, other topics have discussed the Cadets communications and many Commentators have stated that no one communicates more than the Cadets, with complainers saying they communicate too much. Why would they need to add a Communicator to the staff, with one more salary, when they're already among the best in the business?

I think we should give Hop great credit that when he goes on the road, not only is he recruiting and promoting the Cadets, but he is giving talks to music educators about how to have excellent organizations - a very effective way to promote Drum Corps.

Lastly, for now, USBBA does not run by itself. They have a professional staff that runs that side of the organization.

The translation into Olde English will be assigned to Beoowulf.

Kevin

I don't think anyone is really questioning George's very unique skills. The point is that that because he has these skills, he should not be doing things that pretty much anyone else can do. He should focus on the things that he can uniquely do.

Also not suggesting that they hire any employees dedicated to communications. Unnecessary. They could, however, benefit from a clear communications strategy and contract resources that can execute on this. These resources would be far cheaper than could be done in house.

For example.... this thing that George wrote, he probably spent 20 minutes or so on. He could have instead just gave a sort of stream of consciousness ramble in a couple of minutes to a contractor who could take that and put it into a more proper format. There are solid resources out there that could do this for around $15 or so.

Walking through the numbers.... it is important to consider the cost of employees not in terms of monies paid out to them directly in terms of salary, benefits, etc. but in the cost of focusing on a specific task vs. others that might generate additional revenues, improve efficiencies or reduce losses.

For the purposes of discussion, let's calculate this using the average number of working days in a year, but 10 hours a day instead of 8, so 2,600 working hours per year. If we divide the income of YEA by number of working hours... that is about $1,500 per working hour.

The question to ask here is what is George's impact on that $1,500 per working hour in terms of %? Having worked at YEA, I can tell you that it is significant.

Bottomline $15 is a VERY good investment on the part of the organization in terms of freeing up George's time and attention to focus on other things that could increase revenues, improve margins or minimize losses.

Basically every single activity that he considers doing in his role as CEO (not considering the creative aspects of the corps) should be prefaced with how it might address those 3 things (revenues, margins, losses). If it does not directly impact those, it is not a good use of time and should absolutely be a task delegated to someone else.

Edited by danielray

Daniel,

I explained what Hop uniquely does and that he probably didn't spend any time on the Job Description and he has competent staff to work on these things.

CEOs do not perform these functions (the list you mentioned). They receive their data from others.

If Hop through his leadership is generating millions of dollars a year, your calculations are very faulty.

Once again, you're making assumptions about how the organization works and how, given your statement - Walking through the numbers ff, you want to support your views through meaningless business cliched jargon'

Good luck with what you're doing. Let us know about your successes.

Kevin

Daniel,

I explained what Hop uniquely does and that he probably didn't spend any time on the Job Description and he has competent staff to work on these things.

I have some insight into how the org works, what he uniquely does and the kind of things he works on. I used to work at YEA. I lived at the guy's house for about a year.

CEOs do not perform these functions (the list you mentioned). They receive their data from others.

I'm just sort of learning stuff like this... any books you might recommend that might help provide insight into what sort of functions a CEO might do or not do?

• Like 1

I have some insight into how the org works, what he uniquely does and the kind of things he works on. I used to work at YEA. I lived at the guy's house for about a year.

I'm just sort of learning stuff like this... any books you might recommend that might help provide insight into what sort of functions a CEO might do or not do?

ph34r.gifsmile.gif

The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement

Edited by jjeffeory

Daniel,

IMHO, a CEO has to set goals for the organization, but they have to be in accordance with the organization's mission and vision and both those factors have to be oriented towards profiability with great customer service and respect and dignity expected towards and by Employees. I don't read management novels-too much contradiction, self-aggrandizement, and sometimes meanness. I watched 5 minutes of Trump's Apprentice farce once and turned it off in disgust about his behavior.

Nothing wrong with trying some, including Jeffeory's suggestion.

There are websites that contain excerpts. I don't know if Amazon does or not, but try googling business books. i used to receive brochures from a service whose business was to summarize and select important excerpts from business books, (not free, subscription service after a trial). They may still be out there electronically. Do a search.

Simply put, a CEO needs to tell the organization, "Here's where we need to go, here's how we're going to get there, here are the aids and barriers, and here are the measures of success and failure, and here's what I expect from the organization, while monitoring performance and pushing decision making down. Use an experienced and knowledgable staff the best you can, and don't hesitate to use them (in the good sense).

Interesting article in the January 30 New Yorker by Jonah Lehrer about the science of Groupthink. Says research shows Deming was wrong about group problem solving methods.

Enough.

Best regards,

Kevin

Ok...can someone please clarify this for me. I am reading YEA's website and they have postings for 2 summer job openings. Now as I read each job description I see that there is a "fee" involved for both openings.

I know Cadets go against the norm and start marching with their right foot, but do they also have another definition of "fee"? If it is a job opening I would hope they arent expecting the person who gets the job to pay to be on tour with them. I would hope that person would be getting paid.

So is the word "fee" different in Cadets world?

I know we have cleared this up, but I see where the original confusion came in. The Cadets/YEA/Hopkins are very much in our little world of corps related media on a daily basis. George posts on Face Book, they have multiple press releases, they have a large staff with enough turn over or seasonal opportunities to make is seem like they are always looking for help, they post media on YouTube etc. Probably more so than any other corp. They have tried many different ways to make money and don't seem to have a problem charging for their services (consultations, shows etc). This is not a judgement, just a perception that they value their brand enough expect compensation.

I didn't even look to see what job they have open when I read the OP. I honestly assumed they were just trying leverage the great experience one could have traveling with The Cadets by charging room/board to some college kid for helping out learing the trade during the summer. I would not be surprised if they wanted an intern to pay a small fee to go on tour, or an aspiring videographer to pay for meals in exchange for traveling and making videos with some nice filming and editing gear all summer. Happily this is not the case, but would you really be surprised to hear they tried?

Daniel,

IMHO, a CEO has to set goals for the organization, but they have to be in accordance with the organization's mission and vision and both those factors have to be oriented towards profiability with great customer service and respect and dignity expected towards and by Employees. I don't read management novels-too much contradiction, self-aggrandizement, and sometimes meanness. I watched 5 minutes of Trump's Apprentice farce once and turned it off in disgust about his behavior.

Nothing wrong with trying some, including Jeffeory's suggestion.

There are websites that contain excerpts. I don't know if Amazon does or not, but try googling business books. i used to receive brochures from a service whose business was to summarize and select important excerpts from business books, (not free, subscription service after a trial). They may still be out there electronically. Do a search.

Simply put, a CEO needs to tell the organization, "Here's where we need to go, here's how we're going to get there, here are the aids and barriers, and here are the measures of success and failure, and here's what I expect from the organization, while monitoring performance and pushing decision making down. Use an experienced and knowledgable staff the best you can, and don't hesitate to use them (in the good sense).

Interesting article in the January 30 New Yorker by Jonah Lehrer about the science of Groupthink. Says research shows Deming was wrong about group problem solving methods.

Enough.

Best regards,

Kevin

yis5A.jpg

W,

What does that mean? Let alone herp derp? Sorry that I'm not following you, but I wish you would give more explanation about your position. You do sometimes, perhaps you would do it more often. Possible?

Kevin