Virtualizing & Outsourcing Operations

I have a company using all those systems described. Setup for ALL of those... ALL... was about 60-90 minutes. If it takes someone longer to do that, then they aren't the one that should be doing it.

Anyway, not getting religious about anything... just some thoughts... and people can take it for whatever it is worth.

On the topic of CRM... this really shouldn't include stuff with members, but customer that are purchasing things... tickets, t-shirts, donations, whatever. For kids it should be a different system.

Members purchase souvenirs, so they work their way into your CRM tools like it or not. Members become alumni and donors. If you do not integrate, you get duplicate information that must be reconciled. If the systems are not integrated, it becomes difficult to track. Members are customers too - internal customers. Managing their accounts is important.

CRM does involve many channels - donors, souvenir sales, show tickets, in-kind donations, grants, and mailing lists - vendors even. They all come from different sources that have different specifications and requirements for data and processing. Simple CRM software tools may work for one of these, but not all.

Are we forgetting that whoever this person is - they probably won't be with the corps forever? If it is a volunteer, which chances are it would be, they might stay a few seasons. If a staff member, and there you will be adding to staff and cost, how long will they stay?

I work with software, hardware and training all day. As soon as someone is trained they move on......or in this case get bored and quit, or their child ages out, or it gets too overwhelming to continue.

This would work best with a brand new corps, where staff can be assigned and trained right away. Inserting this into an efficiently running corps is asking for problems!

We're talking about Taco Bell cashier level of sophistication on the core end-used level. Mo powa for other user roles... just, the base level user role is like un-####-upable... like less complex than eating paste.

Members purchase souvenirs, so they work their way into your CRM tools like it or not. Members become alumni and donors. If you do not integrate, you get duplicate information that must be reconciled. If the systems are not integrated, it becomes difficult to track. Members are customers too - internal customers. Managing their accounts is important.

CRM does involve many channels - donors, souvenir sales, show tickets, in-kind donations, grants, and mailing lists - vendors even. They all come from different sources that have different specifications and requirements for data and processing. Simple CRM software tools may work for one of these, but not all.

With members you are going to have crazy solid data points. Merging that into the into a stray purchase from same user is playskool... particularly since Xero, Vend, Magento & Capsule all have functions to do this kind of merge by finding dupes on several fields. Easy like Sunday morning.

With members you are going to have crazy solid data points. Merging that into the into a stray purchase from same user is playskool... particularly since Xero, Vend, Magento & Capsule all have functions to do this kind of merge by finding dupes on several fields. Easy like Sunday morning.

I DO NOT APPRECIATE YOUR PRAGMATIC SOLUTIONS, SIR. PLEASE RETURN TO THE BUSINESS WORLD AND LET DRUM CORPS CONTINUE TO OPERATE ON A 1970'S BUSINESS MODEL.

AND GET OFF MY LAWN.

• Like 2

I DO NOT APPRECIATE YOUR PRAGMATIC SOLUTIONS, SIR. PLEASE RETURN TO THE BUSINESS WORLD AND LET DRUM CORPS CONTINUE TO OPERATE ON A 1970'S BUSINESS MODEL.

AND GET OFF MY LAWN.

Thank You, as I now have a keyboard covered with wine... I read your post and it went flying out of my mouth.

• Like 1

AND GET OFF MY LAWN.

Oh man.... just got an idea... digital invoicing on your phone.... except for you make the process 3 times more complicated, for no apparent reason, and replicate the experience of decades old inefficiencies (complete with scratch n sniff iphone app that smells like fresh mimeographs....). Call it Invoiceagram.. sell it for a billion.

Oh man.... just got an idea... digital invoicing on your phone.... except for you make the process 3 times more complicated, for no apparent reason, and replicate the experience of decades old inefficiencies (complete with scratch n sniff iphone app that smells like fresh mimeographs....). Call it Invoiceagram.. sell it for a billion.

Only if it somehow incorporates a piston and a rotor.

Once again, it is nowhere near as easy as you claim. If it were, there would not be an entire industry around CRM, database management, etc. Kids are the worst in this respect. They provide school addresses rather than permanent addresses. Their school addresses changes. They graduate and move. They use different variations of their name. They change their e-mail addresses (personal, to school, to new personal, to work, etc.). It's not like there are duplicates with the same or similar information that is easily detected by the merge functions you mention. And BTW, the tools you criticize have this very same feature.

Again, there is not a compelling argument here Daniel. Are you receiving kickbacks from these companies? Change for the sake of change is not a good thing. And it's not like corps are using ledger books and an abacus.

SFZ

Hilarious. I hope it was inexpensive. That's why I don't drink Lafite when I'm on the Planet.

Kevin

• 8 years later...

ReliaBills is an online invoicing platform that handles invoices, recurring billing, purchase order management and its

serving thousands of U.S.-based businesses. The invoicing system creates and manages every business PO and invoice. This might help your businesses too since it's a FREE software and plus version is only an option for more features.