Spirit 2012

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

This information is NOT true. Who are you and what are your trying to pull here? Unless you are on staff, there is not way would have this information.

Yes, there are some brass players that play woodwind instruments, but they all have extensive brass experience,

Woodwind players with "extensive brass experience"? WOW! That's impressive, if true. I don't know many woodwind players who have "extensive brass experience". Marginal and proficiant enough for a Music Ed degree? Sure! I know plenty of woodwind virtuosos who can get through Essential Elements Book 1 no problem. "Extensive"? Lets think about the REAL definition of that word. Unless their name is "James Morrison" (you should look that name up if you don't know who that is), woodwind players with "extensive brass experience" do not generally exist. Especially between the ages of 16 and 22.

college band and drum corps,

Oh NOW we clarify. :smile: They play "Hey Baby" in the stands and do a show with about 20 drill sets and then go back to their woodwind instruments for wind ensemble. And, they marched an Open Class or a lower tier World Class Semifinalist. NOW I know what you are talking about. COOL! :thumbup:

and play extremely well.

Auwp! Ya lost me again. Unless you are "James Morrison", I question the term "extremely well"...unless you are refering to their woodwind abilities.

And, they beat out over 300 brass

players for their spots. Vets are not guaranteed spots at SOA.

300???????????? WOW! And earlier this year they announced 120 auditionees at their early audition camps. Me thinks you exaggerate too much.

Put on your karma cap buddy and hope for the best.

I have no doubts about Spirit being great in 2012. I full expect them back in finals. But lets be realistic and call a spade a spade. Young and inexperienced is not a bad thing either. The best foundations start from there and build. Don't hide from it...EMBRACE IT!

Go SPIRIT OF ATLANTA!!!! :thumbup:

Edited by bmjfelts1988
  • Like 2

I think woodwind players playing brass is not uncommon in corps at spirits tier... and even higher, I don't see it as an issue. Even 03 phantom regiment had woodwind players.

It happens, is sort of common, and is nothing to be alarmed, concerned, offensive OR defensive about.

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2
  • Like 1

My cousin and at least one other player I know of, are new to the brass realm and made the Spirit hornline.

They aren't very experienced, but have been working very hard to be the best they can be in the ensemble.

I wouldn't be surprised if GeneralTso is right, there may actually be 8 woodwinders without much brass background. Drum Corps is a marathon, not a race, and if they are working like my cousin---it should be a nonfactor.

Congrats to your cousin!!!! I hope he/she has a blast this summer (and I'm sure that he/she will). And THANK YOU for giving us some REALISTIC information.

Edited by bmjfelts1988

I think woodwind players playing brass is not uncommon in corps at spirits tier... and even higher, I don't see it as an issue. Even 03 phantom regiment had woodwind players.

I don't doubt that a bit. Though I would if you said "2011 Phantom". As much as people don't want to admit it, the standards for today's top 6 is much different than it was 9 or 10 years ago. Some will argue with that out of jealousy for their era of drum corps but again, lets call a spade a spade.

Even so, a corps in Spirit's tier makes a WISE move to take on a few hard working woodwind players who have....."extensive experience"...not as "brass players but.......AS MUSICIANS! Building (key word) a great foundation.

Edited by bmjfelts1988

They're still gonna sound good...what's your point? Heaven forbid somebody becomes proficient at more than one instrument.

I would prefer their instruction technique involve walking before running.

That's the point, established from the very first post on the subject.

• Like 1

I'm sure you would find a couple of woodwinds even at the top of activity. It's not uncommon at all. But I bet they had prior corps experience before making that top tier corps.

And it is VERY common for Sax players to play bari in a corps.

BUT, you can't just pick up a horn and they will teach it to you in a world class corps. You gotta know how to make a sound, and you gotta know the fingerings. This isn't the old days anymore. You do have to win a spot.

Lower tier might be a different story. But the low tier is getting smaller and smaller each year.

Easy campers! I HATE how a thread about a corps' show has become some discussion about woodwind players playing brass instruments in drum corps.

I know plenty that have done so in the top five spots. Can we let it go?

I have been to camps and I am very impressed and excited for them, and all of their audiences this summer. I was also at some of last year's camps and feel that

they are ahead of last season at least from what I heard and saw talent wise.

LOVE the rep and as someone said earlier, the show theme seems right up their alley.

HAVE A GREAT SUMMER SOA!!!

• Like 2

Yes, there are some brass players that play woodwind instruments, but they all have extensive brass experience, college band and drum corps, and play extremely well. And, they beat out over 300 brass

players for their spots. Vets are not guaranteed spots at SOA.

So Spirit had at least 380 kids show up to audition on brass? Wow! I haven't even heard of that happening at the Top 6 corps. So I take it Spirit won't have any holes at the beginning of the season then?

Edited by Mr.Potato.Head
  • Like 1

On an agenda to turn this thread around! Calling for all positive posters!

VEGAS BABY!!!! Woot Woot! This has me smiling. What a perfect show idea for them and follows last year in an awesome way.

Where is the rep list. I assume we will get GaGa's Pokerface, and I have heard they are doing Luck be Lady. What is the ballad? Something from Schifrin or Powell?

Besides Vanguard, Devils, and PR, this announcement excites me the most. Please play legit style on Luck!, no drum corps fake jazz, please.

KICK SOME ### SPIRIT

• Like 3

I'm sure you would find a couple of woodwinds even at the top of activity. It's not uncommon at all. But I bet they had prior corps experience before making that top tier corps.

I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if every corps had at least one or two woodwind players each. Yes, even the top corps. There are a lot of woodwind players out there who learn baritone just to be able to march, and some who even after just a couple months get quite good at it. They also usually have a decent bit of finger dexterity, as well, coming from woodwinds, so that isn't an issue, either. As long as they can make a decent sound, they should be fine.

As for the show, I'm interested to see how it will turn out. Will it be something completely different from last year? Or will it be more of like a part 2, just with a different city theme?