34 replies to this topic

#21 MikeN

MikeN

Consigliere

• Consigliere
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,515 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

I'm sorry, one more and I'll stop. We overlook it now, but surely when you look at it with fresh eyes...

Posted Image

2005/2006 Cadets

Mike

#22 Guardguy89

Guardguy89

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:42 PM

Wow.....let's be brutally honest here....it takes a REAL man to wear THOSE unis...especially the DM!

I think the only time I saw them live was the year they did the Indy Jones show in 87 (last year out)...completely diff unis (turbans for headgear, if I remember right)

'87 was the year that we (Les Eclipses) folded and sort of merged with Connexion Quebec. The '87 unis were modified Les Eclipses uniforms - I don't think any of us would have wanted to wear the Connexion ones - just too wierd (even for the '80's)

And yes - they were the co-ed reincarnation of Les Chatelaines.

Later,
Mike

#23 Michael Boo

Michael Boo

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,507 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

I think the Les Chatelains' hats take the cake. Think they ever did a "Sound of Music" show wearing those?

But how could you write an article about hats in drum corps and not say a word about the king of drum corps haberdashery himself, Roman Blenski? :cool:

There is no way I could ever write an article about hats (plural) and simply relegate Roman's iconic cranial millenary to share billing amidst a bunch of other proletariat mantles. Roman's hat transcends being locked into a journalistic enclosure with any of its brethren. I am not sufficiently talented enough to even tackle the awesomeness of Roman's hat...it would be like me attempting to duplicate a Michelangelo marble sculpture...in Silly Putty. It would be like me trying to paint the Mona Lisa by firing paintballs at the side of a barn. It would be like me endeavoring to build a functional aircraft carrier out of toothpicks and duct tape.

Darn it; I'm only a mortal! I can't take this kind of pressure! Perhaps more talented writersólike Ernest Hemingway or whoever it is that writes those "Twilight" novels in their sleepócan pull off such an Olympian and indomitably formidable undertaking.

I now must go whimper myself to sleep, where only my dreams can torture me with visions of my Brobdingnagian inadequacies.
This is my signature because I'm told I should have one even though I use my real name as my screen name.

#24 84BDsop

84BDsop

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,457 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:33 PM

'87 was the year that we (Les Eclipses) folded and sort of merged with Connexion Quebec. The '87 unis were modified Les Eclipses uniforms - I don't think any of us would have wanted to wear the Connexion ones - just too wierd (even for the '80's)

And yes - they were the co-ed reincarnation of Les Chatelaines.

Later,
Mike

Is there any video out there of the Connexion unis in action??
Sam Signorelli
'84 Blue Devils "A"
'84-'85 Keesler AFB Blue Knights

'86 Dagenham Crusaders (DCUK)
'87 Empire Statesmen Sr.
'94-'97 Nightfire
'02-'06 SoCal Dream Sr.
'04 Crunchy Frog
'07 Blue Devils Alumni
'08 En Garde

#25 84BDsop

84BDsop

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,457 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

Not necessarily a hat, but we must also mention Kiwanis Kavaliers and their superhero show -

http://corpsreps.com...orpstype=Junior

(couldn't find a good still photo - click on "picture gallery" then "Herndon, June 27, 2002")

Mike

Oh right.....the "Judge Dredd" look.
Sam Signorelli
'84 Blue Devils "A"
'84-'85 Keesler AFB Blue Knights

'86 Dagenham Crusaders (DCUK)
'87 Empire Statesmen Sr.
'94-'97 Nightfire
'02-'06 SoCal Dream Sr.
'04 Crunchy Frog
'07 Blue Devils Alumni
'08 En Garde

#26 Michael Boo

Michael Boo

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,507 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:55 PM

Those uniforms were "in action" even when hanging on the corps' equipment truck. :rolleyes:
This is my signature because I'm told I should have one even though I use my real name as my screen name.

#27 Lincoln

Lincoln

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

Just their hats....

Corps Hat Attack

My forum name is from the automobile company, not the President.  Then again, the automobile company was named after the President.

#28 HOOKEDBYLEGEND78

HOOKEDBYLEGEND78

DCP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:54 PM

Slightly off topic, but when I think of ICONIC hats, I always think of this one:

Posted Image

Not as in strange or unusual like most of the ones in the article, but as in COOL and representing a certain attitude and flair that the Bridgemen captured SO well.

#29 Michael Boo

Michael Boo

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,507 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:24 PM

Slightly off topic, but when I think of ICONIC hats, I always think of this one:

Not as in strange or unusual like most of the ones in the article, but as in COOL and representing a certain attitude and flair that the Bridgemen captured SO well.

Paragraph 6 discusses how the hats came to be.

#30 HOOKEDBYLEGEND78

HOOKEDBYLEGEND78

DCP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:31 PM

Paragraph 6 discusses how the hats came to be.

For some reason, I had re-read that article just in the past few months - probably due to some thread on DCP. As always, thanks Boo for all you do! :thumbup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please review Drum Corps Planet's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
The contents of this site are copyright (C) 2005-2010 DCP Partners, LLC and all rights are reserved. Requests for use may be directed to the DCP Office.
Drum Corps Planet™ and the DCP logo are trademarks of DCP Partners, LLC. All rights reserved. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.