Connecticut Hurricanes - Uniform Change

Fred is absolutely right...

there are several reasons why shakos with tall plumes work better than any other headgear - visually...

While the difference may be slight... you definitely just helped your visual scores and to a lessor extent your overall GE

GREAT move!

• Like 1

Hello, Tom!

As you well know, there are certain components human beings respond to positively. We really can't change that. I would add the following . . .

Symmetry

Melody

Familiarity

Size

Volume

The "evolution" of drum corps has tended to overlook the importance of these.

Too bad.

• Like 2

Now if we could just convince the Cabs to update their style and go with shakos.

The Sombreros and Kickpleats make the visual package more difficult to clean, but they are both reasons I joined the Caballeros.

That and screaming sops...

• Like 3

It is time...good move!

• Like 1

The Sombreros and Kickpleats make the visual package more difficult to clean, but they are both reasons I joined the Caballeros.

That and screaming sops...

Andrew, my post was very much tongue-in-cheek. If a hat makes a difference in scoring, I lose a little respect for the contest. Differences in style should not be penalized.

Edited by The Oz
  • Like 2

Andrew, my post was very much tongue-in-cheek. If a hat makes a difference in scoring, I lose a little respect for the contest. Differences in style should not be penalized.

The style isn't being penalized exactly.

Compare Bucs to Cabs... Bucs look taller and have a uniform sleek look which overall will look better than Cabs who look shorter because of the hats and look less uniform because the kickpleats all move slightly different.

Cabs uniforms make it harder to judge because they have to take the loose pants into consideration which could bring the score down just off of uncertainty. I doubt the judge thinks "your pants move too much. I don't like them. Lower score for you." But then again, this is DCP and someone will say I'm wrong and its all a big conspiracy.

If the cabs performed 2 shows exactly the same, one in their uniform and another in bucs uniform... I would assume the second show would have a higher score just based on uniformity.

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there were other years when the Hurricanes wore shakos. The new uniforms look great, but being a traditionalist, they make you look like one of many other drum corps; and not like the Hurricanes. I prefer the style of head wear that is unique to the Hurricanes and Reilly.

• Like 2

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there were other years when the Hurricanes wore shakos. The new uniforms look great, but being a traditionalist, they make you look like one of many other drum corps; and not like the Hurricanes. I prefer the style of head wear that is unique to the Hurricanes and Reilly.

and the Gestapo,...........lol

Edited by Gary Matczak

and the Gestapo,...........lol

LOL, being taller is over rated (for those of you who have met me :tongue: )...

Now looking bad ###ed is another thing altogether..... Glad the DMs and HG wil keep the traditional...

Edited by JimF-LowBari