41 replies to this topic

#1 CrunchyTenor

CrunchyTenor

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:11 AM

After the dust settles, and the competition ends, we should be able to look back and remember how much fun we had, right? Otherwise, what's the point? Sure, there are obstacles to overcome, challenges to meet, bragging rights to achieve. But when it comes right down to it, we should be having fun.

In the last couple of days there has been a s**t storm regarding the POSSIBLE return of Crunchy Frog. Why? Here's an opportunity to leave the stress of competition behind and just have a rip-roaring good time. Irreverent, yes, but a good time just the same.

In the immortal words of Rodney King, "Where can I score some dust?"....uh, wait. That's not it.

Oh, yeah. "Can't we just all get along?"

See? Irreverence can be fun.

Garry in Vegas

PS Lee and Jeff? I love you guys!

"These opinions are my own, and do not represent your corps."

><((((>`..`..`...><((((>.
`.. , . .`.. ><((((>`..`..`...><((((>

Cabal of Eight - Member #7

#2 JimF-LowBari

JimF-LowBari

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,741 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

"ARE WE HAVING FUN YET?" <$1 to Zippy the Tuned In Pinhead>

A old Westshoremen thing usually yelled a few hours into a drill rehearsal from Hell.... :ph34r:

Kestone Kavaliers 73-74 (3 months)
Westshoremen 74-79,84-85 Alumni 04
Hanover Lancers 04-11
Low Bari - Didn't play lead and 5'6"

VIP Pass given to us to help my wife,

gotta love corps people

#3 Sayre Kulp

Sayre Kulp

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,632 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:49 PM

I don't get it either, Garry. In all my years of drum corps, I've never seen so many people having such a good time as I did at I&E's with Crunchy Frog. Yes it was silly. Yes it was irreverent. But pointless? I think not. Show me one other example where hundreds of members from every drum corps all across the country can come together and just have some fun together. For three straight years, Crunchy Frog was my opportunity to blow off the steam of the season and relax a little. I know it sounds crazy, but that 5-10 minutes with my friends helped me to clear my head and get focused for Finals. I, (and I remind everyone that I speak only for myself and use my real name), embrace the possible return of the Frog.

Viva Crunchy! :devil:

Sayre Kulp

13-?? Impact of Orlando
08-12 Windsor Regiment
91-11 Reading Buccaneers Alumni
07-11 Westshoremen Alumni
02-09 NY Skyliners
08-09 Shenandoah Sound
06-07 Sunrisers
98-01 Westshoremen
91-97 Lehigh Valley Chieftains

PADCHoF

#4 jeff_demello

jeff_demello

DCP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:05 PM

After the dust settles, and the competition ends, we should be able to look back and remember how much fun we had, right? Otherwise, what's the point? Sure, there are obstacles to overcome, challenges to meet, bragging rights to achieve. But when it comes right down to it, we should be having fun.

In the last couple of days there has been a s**t storm regarding the POSSIBLE return of Crunchy Frog. Why? Here's an opportunity to leave the stress of competition behind and just have a rip-roaring good time. Irreverent, yes, but a good time just the same.

In the immortal words of Rodney King, "Where can I score some dust?"....uh, wait. That's not it.

Oh, yeah. "Can't we just all get along?"

See? Irreverence can be fun.

Garry in Vegas

PS Lee and Jeff? I love you guys!

Love you right back, Garry! :thumbup:

Contrary to a certain individuals beliefs, I personally have no problem with Crunchy Frog ... I was a member!

The ONLY point that I've ever made is that the Renegades Association of California is not associated with either Crunchy Frog or it's proponents. Crunchy Frog is a separate organization.

I wish Crunchy Frog, and it's participants, all the best ... and want them to have fun! :exclamation:

That is all.
-jeff-
Jeff DeMello
Blue Devils Lead Bari/Section Leader: '73-'78; Transportation / Tour Director: '81, '82; Alumni Association Chair: '98-present; Board of Directors: '98-'13
Sponsors of Musical Enrichment Board Member: '11-present

#5 Kamarag

Kamarag

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,073 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:52 PM

The ONLY point that I've ever made is that the Renegades Association of California is not associated with either Crunchy Frog or it's proponents. Crunchy Frog is a separate organization.

And contrary to what Lee believes, it's an important distinction to make. When I first saw the header of the other thread, I initially made the Crunchy Frog/Renegades connection in my head. Why? Because it was only natural, given the 'publicity blitz' from when Crunchy Frog first appeared.

I don't have any problem at all with Jeff's clarification. Quite the contrary, I thought he was pretty classy about it.
John Adcock

Alumnus, Blue Devils, Suncoast Sound &
Reading Buccaneers

"If it's too loud, you're too old."

#6 drumlaw80

drumlaw80

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,408 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:18 PM

DCA, tear down this wall. Bring Crunchy to the people.

#7 CorpsBuff

CorpsBuff

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

Totally separate entities, both of which are awesome.

As one of the greatest broadcasters of all time used to say "Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story".
Andrew "Buffy" Buffenmyer - Seaford, DE
The Couchmen - Since 2012
Hawthorne Caballeros 2nd Baritone 2008,2009, Lead Baritone 2010,2011, Honor Guard - 2013
Reading Buccaneers 2005 - World Champion Tuba
KKY - EI
My opinions and comments are my own and do not represent these organizations.

#8 KeithHall

KeithHall

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,653 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:56 AM

There was a problem to having fun at DCA? Hmmmm

The fun I saw at I&E's was great! It was a time to unwind, have fun and socialize with fellow Drum Corps-ites (made that one up). Heck, the Pootsmen came together 15 minutes before we went on and we did pretty good too.

Long live Crunchy Frog!!!
Keith Hall

What is Hip?

#9 Santana

Santana

DCP Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

Crunchy Frog looked like it was fun to be in but not so much to watch. Lots of people milling around occasionally playing something, took about a half hour. That would be great fun in the parking lot after a busload of beers.

#10 Gary Matczak

Gary Matczak

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,994 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

Crunchy Frog looked like it was fun to be in but not so much to watch. Lots of people milling around occasionally playing something, took about a half hour. That would be great fun in the parking lot after a busload of beers.

agreed,..............fun yes,..............I&E mini corps,........not so much,.......

The concept of being penalized into oblivion as a goal is counter to the nature of the contest it has come to be.
Gary Matczak
Business Manager, Erie Thunderbirds
Chairman of the Board, PA Drum Corps Hall of Fame
Secretary, Lake Erie Fanfare

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please review Drum Corps Planet's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
The contents of this site are copyright (C) 2005-2010 DCP Partners, LLC and all rights are reserved. Requests for use may be directed to the DCP Office.
Drum Corps Planet™ and the DCP logo are trademarks of DCP Partners, LLC. All rights reserved. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.