#1 Michael Boo

Michael Boo

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,423 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:02 AM

1978 Spirit of Atlanta is DCI DVD Spotlight of the Week
This is my signature because I'm told I should have one even though I use my real name as my screen name.

#2 oldsoprano

oldsoprano

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:52 PM

Hey, that's me, the tall soprano player in the center of the shot at 00:52!

Edited by oldsoprano, 08 May 2012 - 05:08 AM.

#3 pizzaguy

pizzaguy

DCP Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:27 PM

I heard this show in Greeley a few days earlier and was COMPLETELY blown away. Had no idea what was coming and the magnificence of that hornline hit me like a sublime nuclear bomb. Then heard it again in Boulder and Denver. Thought they shoulda had high brass @ finals. My fave brass charts ever; bluesy, soulful, and emotionally uplifting. Whenever I feel down, I listen to this show and I'm happy again. It's like prozac w/ shakos. lol. I made a cassette tape on my handy dandy Panasonic deck at the Greeley show that sounded AWESOME. Way way better than the DCI audio. (which was terrible that year.) Like an idiot I lost it. Would give ANYTHING to have it back again. :( But, wow, what GREAT charts. Jim Ott wrote a LOT of great charts of different genres of music, but to me personally, this show is his greatest masterpiece. And to take a relatively inexperienced hornline like that and come w/in .05 of high brass. Wow, that says a lot!
"Security!" - Gail Royer, after being asked by me "Wouldn't Air Supply be great for a drum corps show?"

"The band will now do a salute to mayonnaise." - Robert Klein

"Cleanliness is an important part of good citizenship, wouldn't you agree, Mrs. Cleaver?" - Eddie Haskell

#4 lindap

lindap

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,649 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:35 PM

Hey, that's me, the tall soprano player in the center of the shot at 00:52?

:thumbup: Kudos to you! We were in the stands enjoying the music of 78 :bigsmile:
Scarborough Firefighters 68-71 Seneca Princemen 72-75 Etobicoke Oakland Crusaders 76 Alberta All Girls 77-91 Alberta Winter Guard Association 79-88 Alberta Girls Showcase Society 92-04 as a winter and summer guard member, drum major, winter and summer marching and guard instructor, judge, board of directors member or fundraiser

#5 oldsoprano

oldsoprano

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:27 AM

Not sure if this link will work for everyone, but it's the G.E. brass judge's tape from 1978 finals in Denver.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=188429247862436

#6 ibexpercussion

ibexpercussion

DCP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:35 AM

Gotta love the super deep tenors!!!

Crossmen%20Banner.jpg

#7 pizzaguy

pizzaguy

DCP Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

Not sure if this link will work for everyone, but it's the G.E. brass judge's tape from 1978 finals in Denver.

http://www.facebook....188429247862436

Thanks! I've heard this on youtube quite a few times and it's great. Lloyd REALLY gets into it. lol. :) btw, here's the youtube link if the fb one doesn't work for some of you. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=FQYUFY6UFJI
"Security!" - Gail Royer, after being asked by me "Wouldn't Air Supply be great for a drum corps show?"

"The band will now do a salute to mayonnaise." - Robert Klein

"Cleanliness is an important part of good citizenship, wouldn't you agree, Mrs. Cleaver?" - Eddie Haskell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please review Drum Corps Planet's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
The contents of this site are copyright (C) 2005-2010 DCP Partners, LLC and all rights are reserved. Requests for use may be directed to the DCP Office.
Drum Corps Planet™ and the DCP logo are trademarks of DCP Partners, LLC. All rights reserved. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.