2012 competition vol. numbers... by Corps

Listed below are the number of competitions that each Corps will have for 2012. I've excluded Championhip week. Thus we could add 1-3 more competition shows to these numbers depending upon how far these Corps advance during Championships week. I thought it is interesting that some Corps surprisingly have fewer.. or more... show competitions than we'd ordinarily think, imo. So here they are ( taken from DCI website ) :

Cadets.............34

Cavaliers...........33

Boston Crusaders....32

Carolina Crown......32

Phantom Regiment....31

Blue Stars..........30

S. C. Vanguard......29

Bluecoats...........29

Crossmen............29

Blue Knights........28

Spirit of Atlanta...28

Madison Scouts......27

Troopers............27

Glassmen............26

Academy.............26

Colts...............25

Cascades............24

Blue Devils.........24

Teal Sound..........22

Pioneer.............22

Pacific Crest.......21

Mandarins...........18

Jersey Surf.........15

Edited by BRASSO

I thought on the latest Surf video they said they were doing a full tour. I guess not if they are only doing 15 shows.

I thought on the latest Surf video they said they were doing a full tour. I guess not if they are only doing 15 shows.

I was sort of surprised that ( for one example ) The Cadets ( 34 competitions ) will have approx. 40% more competition shows this year than the Blue Devils, ( 10 more ) and that even The Academy would appear in more DCI Competitions in 2012 than the Blue Devils will. The Cascades and the Blue Devils are scheduled into the same amount of DCI shows for 2012 ( 24 ).

Edited by BRASSO

why is BD doing so few? don't they usually do 30+?

in before "doesn't BD care about drum corps fans?!?!?!"

There could be a valid reason for so few shows by BD too. But I just don't have it at the moment. Maybe someone here knows and will chime in.

why is BD doing so few? don't they usually do 30+?

in before "doesn't BD care about drum corps fans?!?!?!"

Well, i'm not looking at the schedule right now, but I would assume its because they start in California thus not as many shows as starting in the mid-west and if I recall the shows in California start a little later than when The Cavaliers/Cadets start.

I am actually about to look at the schedule myself. So I have a feeling i'm gonna have to edit this soon.

• Like 2

Well, i'm not looking at the schedule right now, but I would assume its because they start in California thus not as many shows as starting in the mid-west and if I recall the shows in California start a little later than when The Cavaliers/Cadets start.

I am actually about to look at the schedule myself. So I have a feeling i'm gonna have to edit this soon.

Regiment and Boston are both on the western tour this year and compete against BD regularly. Even SCV has more shows.

Regiment and Boston are both on the western tour this year and compete against BD regularly. Even SCV has more shows.

Well even at that BD is starting in California while SCV, Regiment, and Boston are starting in other places. For an example, Phantom Regiment's first show is on June 16th and Bostons and SCV's first show is on the 19th and BD's first show is on the 22nd. I haven't really looked on passed the first couple of weeks of tour, but BD does start later than Cavies, SCV, Boston, and Cadets.

I am not sure how or why BD is doing few... not that I don't trust the numbers... I just have to do the math myself and see where BD is traveling. Which could be another reason why BD is doing fewer shows than Cavies or Cadets.

Edited by Hook'emCavies

Well even at that BD is starting in California while SCV, Regiment, and Boston are starting in other places. For an example, Phantom Regiment's first show is on June 16th and Bostons and SCV's first show is on the 19th and BD's first show is on the 22nd. I haven't really looked on passed the first couple of weeks of tour, but BD does start later than Cavies, SCV, Boston, and Cadets.

I am not sure how or why BD is doing few... not that I don't trust the numbers... I just have to do the math myself and see where BD is traveling. Which could be another reason why BD is doing fewer shows than Cavies or Cadets.

Actually, Boston IS starting in California, just like BD. If I recall, Blue Devils usually have fewer shows than most of their competitors (we've had this discussion here in past years). They also tend not to house people during Spring training and they also rehearse less than many corps~but it seems to work for them.

Good luck to all in the start of the season next month.

Eat'em up, Boston.

• Like 2

Not a new issue - though I agree it is worth discussing. (Just for reference, here's a similar thread I started three years ago, which includes five-year data for the top three.)

Bottom line for me is certain corps are depriving the fans. Corps that make a full tour, corps who contend for the title ought to perform as much as possible in my view.

HH