It's Official, Cadets need a new PR writer

Why would anyone question the success of this organization and expect them to produce anything less then a solid program that will without question go mid-pack at worst in DCA not to mention the name "CADETS" will sell tickets at every DCA event. In my opinion we need more DCI corps mostly in regions that don't have all-age corps to take a page out of the Cadets book and do the same!

Think about it, most top DCI corps bring about 200 potential new members to each audition camp and that doesn't include the returning members leaving very little options for those members that don't get a call back!

Those that participate in DCI can afford it, have the time to dedicate to it and the ability to survive a DCI summer! This is the minority of band students, the majority don't have the financial resources, time or highest level talent that most DCI corps are looking for so where can they go to get the drum corps experience??? DCA!!!

Examples:

Cavies - Nice, first all male back in DCA!!!

Crown - Amazing!

Florida Wave - Hmmm....could happen!!!

Southwind - Good way to get back in the field!

Enjoy!

Jim

This is the minority of band students, the majority don't have the financial resources, time or highest level talent that most DCI corps are looking for so where can they go to get the drum corps experience??? DCA!!!

This has been the major benefit to DCA for decades. It's not a new concept. I will give credit to C2 for shedding some new light on it though.

It is my hope that one day, DCA will not be viewed as a Plan B option for these students. We all know what the weekend model can offer, and something's can not be touched by DCI.

Care to name names? I just looked at the staff at C2 and I must admit they all come from some pretty successful programs be it marching band, indoor, DCI and DCA corps and all of them with a wealth of experience. I just fail to see any dead weight on this instructional team.

Jay

Well let's be clear, I never said "dead weight", and I don't see how I implied that at all.

And no, I will not name names. I draw the line there. Especially on a public forum. I won't even continue to speculate out of respect. My point was made. The perception by some is that the staff at C2 is the best in the business. My point was that is not completely the case.

Either way, those people, are still good people.

Well let's be clear, I never said "dead weight", and I don't see how I implied that at all.

And no, I will not name names. I draw the line there. Especially on a public forum. I won't even continue to speculate out of respect. My point was made. The perception by some is that the staff at C2 is the best in the business. My point was that is not completely the case.

Either way, those people, are still good people.

OK, then who are the ones that didnt do well at other groups? Im looking at the names of these people on this staff and for the life of me I cant find these people you claim did poorly with other groups.

Remember, you are the guy that claimed some of these people are "green", I just cant find the people you are talking about on the staff list.

• Like 1

Oh didn't you hear? World domination through the means of non-profit drum corps and marching band. It's really a flawless plan...

:spitting:

We have feuded in the past so its okay you singled me out :)

I am not feuding, nor am I singling you out. Your quote was the best example of what many are probably thinking.

This is all just a game of semantics.

You're assuming that when the Cadets say "the entire Cadets organization is planning for a Labor Day celebration in Annapolis which will feature 2 performances by the corps in the DCA World Championship preliminary and finals competitions" that they are setting a specific placement goal? Or are the advertising the DCA Championship weekend and what they would possibly entail for the Cadets2?

The press release doesn't say "possibly". It says Cadets2 "will" perform twice in competition....that they will perform in "preliminary and finals competitions". See how one word can totally change the meaning? Too bad you aren't writing their press releases - you'd have gotten it just right!

Frankly, you and I both know that making a statement like that cannot possibly be "setting a placement goal". Bear in mind that DCA corps have not even declared open-class vs. class A yet. For all we know, there could be 16 corps in open-class this summer....or we might not even have 10.

You're also assuming that the Cadets2 are being indoctrinated to believe that they are automatically better than all the other DCA corps? That the staff makes it a priority for them to accept 1st place and all else is failure? That the Cadets2 are promising that they will make Finals without any doubt? How can you believe any Cadet corps operates like this (or any corps for that matter)?

Where do you see me saying anything remotely like that?

Read the title I gave this thread. See where it says "PR writer"? Focus on that, and listen.

I know full well that the Cadets do not "indoctrinate" their members to think they're better than everyone else. No corps these days sets 1st place as the only acceptable outcome. To my knowledge, the only person on this planet publicly promising a finals placement for their corps is the PR writer for Cadets2.

Is this really the fault of the press release that you believe this? Or you are tempted to believe what you want to believe?

Hey, I came into this thread believing that humility was the only sensible way to go. The near-unanimous reaction of others was the opposite. I am willing to admit when I am wrong. Perhaps audacity is a valid tactic these days. According to camp reports, it is working so far. Maybe this will be the wave of the future. I don't know yet. All I know is one PR writer is giving it a try.

OK, then who are the ones that didnt do well at other groups? Im looking at the names of these people on this staff and for the life of me I cant find these people you claim did poorly with other groups.

Remember, you are the guy that claimed some of these people are "green", I just cant find the people you are talking about on the staff list.

For starters, their staff list is not complete. Also, it's very difficult to assess ones contribution to a program simply by affiliation unless you have worked with them before in other groups and have some personal experience. And as for being "green", there are a few techs that have never taught a drum corps program before.

Not saying they won't do well, and I wish them the best...

My point still stands, it's not all roses...

Moving on.

Edited by irishbugle

Oh didn't you hear? World domination through the means of non-profit drum corps and marching band. It's really a flawless plan...

working well isn't?

(insert sarcasm)

I think people need to go and review who is on staff at Cadets2 and realize that those gentlemen are for REAL and know how to WIN.

Making finals cut? Not even going to be a issue.

Top 5 needs to be looking over their shoulder IMHO.

I think the top 2 know what they are doing but 3-5 are in trouble.

• Like 3

Charlie, sorry for being fussy, but your comment has no verb or object. I don't know what you're trying to say.

I think Jeff has already said if there are twelve Corps in Finals, C2 would be there because, I assume there are only 11 competitors (as always I stand to be corrected).

I stated over a month ago that it seems contradictory to have complaints about the decline in the number of Drum Corps and now there are complaints about a new one. Confusing at the least.

C2 has deliberately set a differerent membership criteria than other all-agers. There shouldn't be much of a threat to other Corps about recruiting. I can understand that the Bucs might be the most concerned.

So what if C2 makes finals or even wins. It's a weekend Corps like everyone else and I would be bothered that the abilities of the staff of all the other competing Corps would be deemed less capable than the Cadets. Don't forget the juniors are on the road for 63 days. Cipriani, McNutt, et. al. can only get spread so far. Just some thoughts. No criticism.

Kevin

• Like 1