Average age for corps

There is no doublespeak, I was just commenting that the previous post that I was alluding to, was making a personal attack (albeit unintentionally) rather than a comment on the statement. That is all.

Leave it to DCP'ers to twist things.......

Are you talking about the guy who asked you to verify your source so as to give a measure of credibility to your statement? I don't know if I'd consider that a personal attack, intentional or unintentional. But in any case, no disrespect intended or implied, just observing that it's difficult to give much credence to a can't-reveal-my-source-but-trust-me post.

thanks for the dialogue,

Fred O.

This thread makes me happy that I don't have to estimate the average age in DCA. :tongue:

• Like 1

Agree. Almost as silly as saying that having the highest average age causes the BD to frequently win.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

I never said this. Nevertheless, you're the one discounting age as a factor in placement.

Quidquid latin dictum sit altum viditur non possunt.

(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound... but usually isn't )

Edited by BRASSO

I never said this.

Age is very important in placement ( all things being equal )

Sure looks like it to me. When you say "all things being equal" , you're stating quite clearly that age is a determining factor.

My point (which I thought was just a minor one when I originally posted) is that age is not a determining factor at all. It just happens to correlate with a bunch of other things that DO matter (like experience and training).

Anyway this logical fallacy is apparently completely lost on you and I'm giving up trying to explain it.

• Like 1

Sure looks like it to me. When you say "all things being equal" , you're stating quite clearly that age is a determining factor.

My point (which I thought was just a minor one when I originally posted) is that age is not a determining factor at all. It just happens to correlate with a bunch of other things that DO matter (like experience and training).

Anyway this logical fallacy is apparently completely lost on you and I'm giving up trying to explain it.

Jeezzus on a popsicle stick, are you this thick usually ? I have no patience to rephase my comments from above. But a casual read should draw the conclusion that I said ( my quote above ) " age, experience,and well paid design staffs " are the key to why the Cadevaliers win 90% of the DCI Titles since 1990. I did say that "age is an important factor ". I did not ever say however that " age is the " sole factor ", nor even " the most important factor ". I can't help you if you missed the part where I included in my comments above that " experience " and also " well paid design staffs" are also an important factor ( along with " age " ) in placements, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

while i dont know the average age of the Cavies this year i do know they had alot with multi year experience audtion from other top 12 corps.

On Cavies Facebook page yesterday they posted a video from SmartMusic that was filmed during camp. if you watch...the first member interviewed says:

member: "This is my first year marching with the Cavaliers, I marched the last 6 with the Blue Stars."

"I've always seen the Cavaliers and the confidence they exude...its just a great group to be with."

I do know that retention of experienced members is an issue for alot of the non top 6 corps.

Edited by GREENBLUE

while i dont know the average age of the Cavies this year i do know they had alot with multi year experience audtion from other top 12 corps.

On Cavies Facebook page yesterday they posted a video from SmartMusic that was filmed during camp. if you watch...the first member interviewed says:

member: "This is my first year marching with the Cavaliers, I marched the last 6 with the Blue Stars."

"I've always seen the Cavaliers and the confidence they exude...its just a great group to be with."

I do know that retention of experienced members is an issue for alot of the non top 6 corps.

There is a pecking order. It wasn't always this way in Drum Corps, but it is one of the " changes " that has taken place in the activity over the years.

Edited by BRASSO

It's one of the many changes in the world in general that has infiltrated the drum corps world too. Albert Pujols is playing for the Angels instead of the Cardinals this year (if you can call a .190 average "playing"). Drum corps has its "free agents" too. They tend to be older and more experienced. They tend to be better players and marchers. And they tend toward the corps where the "talent" think it has the chance to win.

Age is ancillary, if you ask me in this alleged correlation to success. Maturity is the difference. Maturity in music. Maturity in marching. Marturity in attitude. Maturity in ambition. Maturity is the essential ingredient in much of their success. Age often correlates in maturity and success. Sometimes it doesn't.

HH

• Like 1

It's one of the many changes in the world in general that has infiltrated the drum corps world too. Albert Pujols is playing for the Angels instead of the Cardinals this year (if you can call a .190 average "playing"). Drum corps has its "free agents" too. They tend to be older and more experienced. They tend to be better players and marchers. And they tend toward the corps where the "talent" think it has the chance to win.

Age is ancillary, if you ask me in this alleged correlation to success. Maturity is the difference. Maturity in music. Maturity in marching. Marturity in attitude. Maturity in ambition. Maturity is the essential ingredient in much of their success. Age often correlates in maturity and success. Sometimes it doesn't.

Praise Buddha! Thank you Glory :-)