Last years championship week

Make sure it has a back rest!

Well the seats at Lucas Oil have backs, so I just need to protect the tuckus.

• Like 1

I spent two days in Indy last year and will be there all week this year. The parade was a really wonderful event. From what I understand the Crossmen were the most upset about having to be in the parade because DCI made it mandantory. They too lithe parade and just used as a vehicle for their frustration. It was very cool however to have them break rank, come to the curb and have 3 trumpet players 2 feet from me just wail. I could die right then and me happy. Colts did this as well. The mass battle hymn at te end was great and was amazing to see about 30 corps perform it. I will definitely be attending the parade this year and every year DCI holds it there after.

I loved the parade and thought the Crossmen stole the show with the way they marched it and yeah, I had some trumpets in my face, it was great !!!

I had no idea it was a protest – I embrace their anger if manifested this way

I recall there being a parade around the capital in Madison, maybe at the star of the week?

I liked it better at the end of the week

I also saw some ‘drum battles’ between corps after the parade that was fun too

The staffs need to do a better job at selling the parade if people are calling it a loser parade, to me it was a celebration of the season. Honestly, the parade gave me a chance to really support, clap and show my appreciation to some of the corps that might not have gotten the love they deserved in the stands – it also made the corps more human as I’m not 'a lot' or rehearsal guy –

The mass brass was cool but it took too long to set up

• Like 2

No losers when the kids work hard, have fun doing it, make life long friends, and learn life lessons.

• Like 1

The kids actually call it the "Losers Parade".

Yes, you are correct. Kids from various corps were referring to it as the POL (Parade of losers). I think it was even hashtagged on twitter. Most of the members I talked to just wanted their last time in uniform performing together to have been on the field. They want to "leave it all there." I can absolutely understand that. I wish the parade was Wednesday and ALL corps were required to do it - not just the non-finalists.

Also about the time issue - Most non-finalist corps use that morning to get all of their equipment/uniform checked in and then get their busses and housing all cleaned up. By the time the parade was over it was already 1:00 or later, they then had to return to housing (which for a lot of corps was more than an hour away) get showers, eat lunch do the turn in and clean up process and then make the hour or more drive back. I know some corps were late to finals. Not to mention the extra expense of the extra round trip of gas.

I did like that some corps just cut loose - I know some folks didn't think they were "professional" but I say if they're going to make them do it, they might as well try to have fun! (and I didn't see any corps being "unprofessional" at all.)

Many who ride MC's or truck drivers use the $20 gel type seat sold at most Wally Worlds.

I will look into that. Thanks!

• Like 1

Keep the competitive format like last year, but put the parade on Wednesday before quarterfinals start.

• Like 1

If I were DCI then I would encourage the kids to be more interactive with the fans, sopranos screaming in your face would always be a winner with a Drum Corp crowd.

• Like 1

^^^^ I'm sorry to hear that. After a year of learning, rehearsing and performing, and the quality of the final product compared to auditions, if anyone feels like a loser on Saturday of finals week...well, I'm not sure how to respond to that.

Garry in Vegss

I remember riding home for what seemed like a month from Montreal in 1981... Took 2nd place by .35 and guess what... we all felt like we LOST DCI!

I think we were calling our competetive outcome... Being the first place loser!

It wasn't until we reached out for our vindication that we were able to feel it... I know you have felt something like this Gary...