No Beer at DCA Prelims & Finals

MikeD, you quoted the alcohol policy of the stadium but my interpretation of that would be bringing in alcohol on your own, not purchase inside the stadium. Most stadiums or major concert venues have a nearly identical policy. This is to increase their profits on the beer concessions inside the venue-many also prohibit bringing food into the stadium, but they will happily overcharge you for theirs.

I don't think they want any alcohol inside the stadium...here is a person's writeup on Yelp about attending games at the stadium...note the last "PS" statement...

I'm going to get beaten for giving it 4 stars by my USNA family. Please don't think I hate it, for the memories here are BEYOND fantastic.

Navy Marine Corps Memorial Stadium is great for Navy Football. Last minute interception from the '08 homecoming against Rutgers? CHECK. Last minute first down from the '09 homecoming against Wake Forest? CHECK. Magical things happen at this stadium.

The layout is great and the views of the field are fantastic. From the upper level, egh... not so much but you can see the jumbo tron well enough. Sissy graduated here last May and I got to watch Obama speak. As a liberal Republican I do declare he won me over. Something about seeing him support the Mids really won be over. Regardless of whether or not it was not written by him, it sounded great.

The moral watching a football game here is unlike any other. Fans in every seat... except perhaps on a thunderstorm day but head over to the Goat Locker and buy yourself a poncho. If the Mids can have it out, so can you.

Need food? Small variety but what's there is good. I recommend the chicken strips and an Italian sausage from Red White and Blue

If you get a chance, def take in a game. You don't have to be a Navy fan to enjoy it. Get there early to watch the march on of the Midshipmen. Seriously, makes you feel proud to be an American.

PS: It would have reigned in 5 stars if they served booze.

GO NAVY!

Here is another...from a website called stadiumjourney...

Food & Beverage 4

The permanent concession stands don't give a ton of variety, but the mobile stands throughout certainly do. All of your regular ballpark fare is available, in addition to pulled pork BBQ, pit beef, veggie chili, and, of course, crab cakes. It's in MARYLAND, for crying out loud, they sell crab cakes at 7-11 here.

As is the case with many on-campus (or, in this case, near campus) venues, no alcohol is sold in the stadium, but tailgating is vigorously encouraged. You can't bring alcohol into the stadium (they will check) so be sure to partake outside if you would like to.

You may be right, but from my quick reading it appears that they do not permit alcohol inside the stadium at all.

I don't think they want any alcohol inside the stadium...here is a person's writeup on Yelp about attending games at the stadium...note the last "PS" statement...

You may be right, but from my quick reading it appears that they do not permit alcohol inside the stadium at all.

Yeah, as long as there is a nice pub walking distance, it should all be fine!

From the links you've provided, I suspect your last statement is probably correct...if that's the case, however, why does the OP feel that beer will be sold at the stadium for the I & E? I personally don't give a rat's tail-I'm just itching for the season to start!

• Like 1

From the links you've provided, I suspect your last statement is probably correct...if that's the case, however, why does the OP feel that beer will be sold at the stadium for the I & E? I personally don't give a rat's tail-I'm just itching for the season to start!

Is the I and E contest taking place at the stadium or at a different venue?

I have heard they sell it for soccer games, so who knows.

either way, other than lost revenue on their end, it shouldn't affect someone's ability to enjoy the weekend

With all due respect Jeff, IMHO most of the issues in Scranton came from where the staff viewing area was located-I know, because I was two rows directly in front of them. I am quite certain that in some instances, beer was certainly involved but most staff don't hang around inside the stadium prior to their corps taking the field, so whether it is sold at the stadium is probably a moot point. There are likely just as many instances where it was just staff being over-zealous staff, and as many where the staffs were respectful of those who had paid for the privilege of deciding whether or not they enjoyed the performance. I have enjoyed the occasional beer at DCA "just because I could" but had there not been beer available it wouldn't have played into my decision whether or not to attend.

MikeD, you quoted the alcohol policy of the stadium but my interpretation of that would be bringing in alcohol on your own, not purchase inside the stadium. Most stadiums or major concert venues have a nearly identical policy. This is to increase their profits on the beer concessions inside the venue-many also prohibit bringing food into the stadium, but they will happily overcharge you for theirs. A lot of these policies are also subject to the whims of the gate personnel. At DCI in Foxboro, the stadium gestapo refused entrance to a guy in front of me carrying a candy bar on his person, but this year at Lucas Oil Stadium it was not unusual to see outside food and beverages in the stands and there were no "bag checks" or pat downs being conducted as we entered the stadium each day-through the main entrance.

you're entitleed to that opinion. However, many of the people in those areas weren't staffs. I could name some names, but I'drather not go there and #### off some well known DCP folks, some tied to corps, some not.

From the fan guide pdf on the Naval Academy stadium website (it is from 2010, but it is the one that comes up on the link):

Alcohol

Alcohol is not permitted inside Navy-Marine Corps Memorial

Stadium. Alcohol is, however, allowed in parking lots and

tailgating areas. Consumption of alcohol by underage drinkers

will not be tolerated.

Fan Guide 2010

Ahhhhh I see a huge amount of lot surfing this year if that is in fact the case. :) Could effect ticket sales. Hard to say.

Is the I and E contest taking place at the stadium or at a different venue?

At the stadium.

Well Fran, since neither you nor I are going to contribute much in the way of beer sales anyway, this really isn't a big deal.

I'm sure the three of us are not the only ones that had no plans on consuming any beer at the stadium... tongue.gif

• Like 1