US Open Memories

My first U.S. Open was 1971.

I remember the DeLaSalle Oaklands doing an absolutely fantastic performance at Finals that year. And that was the first and only time I remember seeing Mighty St. Joe's in competition.

A not-so-great U.S. Open memory: 1974, my junior corps (Manville NJ Sacred Heart Crusaders) came in dead last at Open Class prelims. :blink: We had a rough run that day, to say the least. :tongue:

For whatever reason, our director entered us in Open Class at that show, instead of Class A. We had made Class A finals the weekend before at the Key to the Sea show in Toledo, against many of the same corps in the Class A field at the Open.

My first U.S. Open was 1971.

I remember the DeLaSalle Oaklands doing an absolutely fantastic performance at Finals that year.

'71 was my first Open also. I practically wore out my record album with De La Salle on it. The opener of "Miserlou" was a real thriller, and their flag presentation

of "Ontario-A Place to Stand" was also a real favorite.

1 Anaheim Kingsmen 88.150

2 27th Lancers 85.000

3 Blue Rock 80.600

4 Kilties 80.100

5 Bridgemen 79.400

6 Des Plaines Vanguard 76.750

7 Garfield Cadets 75.600

8 Bleu Raeders 74.800

9 DeLaSalle Oaklands 73.650

10 Blessed Sacrament 71.500

11 Racine Scouts 67.650

12 Purple Lancers 64.600

Is this '71 or '72? i was in the stands that night in '73 and remember running onto the track between stand-stills to see how fans many stayed. The storm came up so quick that we were all soaked, so most stayed and the stands were surprisingly full. That was the first night I remember seeing great big sheets of plastic pulled over the stands, held up by all the people underneath; I thought it was brilliant. I had to ride the bus home for 2 1/2 soaked hours. Boy, did we stink!

I remember seeing the rain bounce off the heads as the snares and tenors played. It was a visual I don't remember seeing since as the bouncing rain sparkled under the lights. And looking at the lights you could tell just how bad it was coming down.

A sight and sound feast that caused the fans to erupt. My introduction to drum corps, and one that's burned into my memory. Awe. Yeah, good word. I was in awe.

I always go straight to 1975 and Madison Scouts - sucked the air out of the stadium and blew it right back at us on the first downbeat. i can still feel it after all these years...

I always go straight to 1975 and Madison Scouts - sucked the air out of the stadium and blew it right back at us on the first downbeat. i can still feel it after all these years...

Yeah, man! I was always astounded that the opening dynamic held for the full 8 counts with no diminish at all. That wall of air was astounding.

I remember seeing the rain bounce off the heads as the snares and tenors played. It was a visual I don't remember seeing since as the bouncing rain sparkled under the lights. And looking at the lights you could tell just how bad it was coming down.

On our way to Dallas in 71, we played a Dolphin/49'er summer ex game in Miami. It poured on us at half-time...like can happen in that area at any time. The next day one of the major Miami daily papers had a front-page photo of our timpani line with the rain bouncing off the heads like crazy. VERY neat picture.

BTW...my folks in NJ got to see the show. NBC showed our entire performance on National TV. :thumbup:

Another great thing about '73 U.S. Open....we got to see three "up & coming" corps.........

BLUE DEVILS, PHANTOM REGIMENT, and in 33rd place.........the VELVET KNIGHTS!

The first time I ever saw the Blue Devils was in the 1973 U.S. Open parade. I've been a fan from that day on.