US Open Memories

In 1977 I was in the Crossmen, and we were in the US Open that year.

We finished in 2nd in prelims, very close to the Seneca Optimists.

For finals, there were several rain delays....to the point where we thought

that we would not compete. We kicked off at 3 AM, and we got partially into

the show and the skies opened up on us. We were not stopped, and did a very

good job considering....with some brave crowd still there...

Seneca came on next, and it didn't rain on them

at all.....we lost the show due to penalties (guard equipment drops due to rain...)...

we blew out every electrical outlet in the school trying to use hairdryers to dry

uniforms and flags, as we had a show the next night.............

GB

In 1977 I was in the Crossmen, and we were in the US Open that year.

We finished in 2nd in prelims, very close to the Seneca Optimists.

For finals, there were several rain delays....to the point where we thought

that we would not compete. We kicked off at 3 AM, and we got partially into

the show and the skies opened up on us. We were not stopped, and did a very

good job considering....with some brave crowd still there...

Seneca came on next, and it didn't rain on them

at all.....we lost the show due to penalties (guard equipment drops due to rain...)...

we blew out every electrical outlet in the school trying to use hairdryers to dry

uniforms and flags, as we had a show the next night.............

GB

That night they actually had to put the judges' score sheets inside a popcorn machine at the concession area to try and dry them off.

A preface to the ending is that our housing site was at Weslayan University in the town of Delaware about 20 miles from Marion.

George, remember the food at that university? It was terrific!!!

We may not have been the best corps there... but we certainly ate well during our stay. LOL.

And you're right... our director did have, shall we say, a tendency to make sure we left our best performance on the rehearsal field. :tongue:

Wow, Steve! I just about wore out my '71 U.S. Open album cut with the Appleknockers on it simply because of "Someday". That was a great piece of music!

I was always surprised nobody else played it on the field. I think Catholic Daughters of America my have played it a year or two after Geneva, but it may also have been

"Someday My Prince Will Come" (hard to tell as some corps abbreviated their song titles).

In a different era, Seattle Cascades included it in their Chicago show in 1998.

In 1977 I was in the Crossmen, and we were in the US Open that year.We finished in 2nd in prelims, very close to the Seneca Optimists.For finals, there were several rain delays....to the point where we thoughtthat we would not compete. We kicked off at 3 AM, and we got partially intothe show and the skies opened up on us. We were not stopped, and did a verygood job considering....with some brave crowd still there...Seneca came on next, and it didn't rain on them at all.....we lost the show due to penalties (guard equipment drops due to rain...)...we blew out every electrical outlet in the school trying to use hairdryers to dryuniforms and flags, as we had a show the next night.............GB

I think it was in '77 -- we waited out one of the rain delays on our buses behind the back stands. When we were given the OK to get ready to go on, we were all stiff from sitting for so long so when we went into the stadium onto the track, our director and DM had us jog up and back along the rear portion of the track. The crowd loved it...

I was a spectator during the '73 deluge and remember the water running down the drive between the stadium and the school overflowing the curb. My mom had several sealed packets of aspirin in her purse and when we got to our hotel (Holiday Inn in Delaware - Holidome, baby) all of the aspirin was dissolved. My parents put all their cash on the AC to dry it out. I think it was the first year of RC's new uniforms and all the chaperones stayed up all night trying to salvage the plumes.

Man I loved the U.S. Open...

I was a spectator during the '73 deluge and remember the water running down the drive between the stadium and the school overflowing the curb. My mom had several sealed packets of aspirin in her purse and when we got to our hotel (Holiday Inn in Delaware - Holidome, baby) all of the aspirin was dissolved. My parents put all their cash on the AC to dry it out. I think it was the first year of RC's new uniforms and all the chaperones stayed up all night trying to salvage the plumes.

Man I loved the U.S. Open...

I have quite a few corps booster buttons that show rusty spots on them today because I was wearing them at the 1973 U.S. Open downpour.

• Like 1

In a different era, Seattle Cascades included it in their Chicago show in 1998.

I haven't been able to locate a recording of them for this year (1998)...any advice?