52 replies to this topic

#1 garfield's_kid

garfield's_kid

DCP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:15 PM

An idea struck me today that I think might alter a few shows in future years. Here goes.

There are literally thousands of radio stations across the country that play Top 40 music. Therefore, there are millions of people that listen to these radio stations, and many people listen so much that they know the songs by heart.

Corps are always trying to play music that is recognizable, and also catchy enough that it stays in your head for an annoyingly long amount of time.

Why don't corps incorporate some Top 40 songs into their scores? People know the songs, and they are always singing these songs, so that proves that the music is catchy (And if you're like me, thanks to some "fangirls," these songs are stuck in your head for weeks).

In my mind, this is the perfect idea for a show by any corps. Does anyone else feel the same?

Anthony
Snare drummer since 2008
DCI follower since 2000
DCI honk forever

BlueDevilsBannerv2.jpg
BluecoatsBannerv2.jpg

#2 Quad Aces

Quad Aces

DCP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:50 PM

Corps are always trying to play music that is recognizable

You sure about that?? Have you seen any rep lists from the last, oh, 10-15 years or so??

#3 soccerguy315

soccerguy315

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,474 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:55 PM

POPULAR

they could title the show, Rach Star
drum corps in a dome sucks; turn down the pit amps

My opinions represent every corps I have ever seen perform, both live and on video/dvd.
Division I Scaffolding - 06, 07 (Age Out)

The more subjective in nature the scoring is, the less control the participant has over the outcome... Petty protection of egos (at the expense of others) becomes more important than our stated objective -- development and improvement of everyone involved. - Scott Stewart, 1997

#4 hostrauser

hostrauser

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:09 PM

The day Foster the People shows up in DCI I'm going to kill 400 people in 16 states.

FDbanner.png
Forward Dynamics, Oregon, WI - DCPI Season XXII (Summer 2014)

- Polaris Regiment (World Class) - "Principia" - 96.525, 6th place
- The Marauders (Open Class) - "Rusalka" - 93.430, 6th place
- Xothyme (Class A) - "Supervillain" - 91.300, 1st place - DCPI Champions!

#5 TerriTroop

TerriTroop

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:17 PM

Two words: sync rights.
Terri
Nighthawks 1983-84
Troopers 1985-86, 1988
Trooper pit arranger/instructor 1992

The pleasure we feel in music springs from the obedience which is in it. -- Thoreau

Music is the movement of sound to reach the soul for the education of its virtue. -- Plato

Tribute to Sean McRatigan, and the Troopers (5 minute video)

#6 Jeff Ream

Jeff Ream

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158,754 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:09 PM

Two words: sync rights.

:withstupid:

Jeff Ream
Westshoremen 89,90,95,96, 1996 DCA World Champions, Bucs drum staff 00, Empire drum staff 01 Shore alumni 02-,
RIP Sean Holton. We miss you and we love you
Dealing with idiots takes a special kind of patience and a hint of perversion. Luckily for DCP, I have both to spare

Unlike Congress, I never shut down.

#7 fsubone

fsubone

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,964 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:37 AM

Because that's what high school and college marching band are for. If you really tried to break down Top 40 music, you would be appalled at a.) the simplicity, and b.) how repetitive it is. It would not translate at all to the drum corps field.

Just my thoughts of course.

Always march if you have the chance to do it. Or else you will always regret it and complain about it on the internet

At the end of the day, it's not the instrumentation, but the excellence and experience of performance that makes drum corps special

Carolina%20Crown%20Banner%20EMC2%20Editi
Santa%20Clara%20Vanguard%20Banner.jpg
Santa%20Clara%20Vanguard%20Les%20Mis%20E
Crossmen%20Banner.jpg

Stand for something, or you'll fall for everything

#8 audiodb

audiodb

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,493 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:40 AM

Because that's what high school and college marching band are for. If you really tried to break down Top 40 music, you would be appalled at a.) the simplicity, and b.) how repetitive it is. It would not translate at all to the drum corps field.

A decent arranger could make the necessary tweaks.

#9 charlie1223

charlie1223

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,581 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:07 AM

If the point of this is to be "annoyingly catchy" than absolutely not. plus lady gaga is making her rounds again this year.
...Keeping it REAL on DCP

#10 glory

glory

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,284 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:58 AM

In addition to all the good objections already raised is this "evergreen" issue in the marching band world:

The cool police already have charged us with being uncool. Why would we play less cool versions of their favorites and give them more cause to convict us on the geek count?

I don't ordinarily think we should make our decisions based on our worst critics' sensibilities. In this case, however, I think we'd be condeming ourselves to high school purgatory.

One time at band camp ...

HH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please review Drum Corps Planet's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
The contents of this site are copyright (C) 2005-2010 DCP Partners, LLC and all rights are reserved. Requests for use may be directed to the DCP Office.
Drum Corps Planet™ and the DCP logo are trademarks of DCP Partners, LLC. All rights reserved. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.