11 replies to this topic

#1 DrumManTx

DrumManTx

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:25 PM

I know The Academy announced a title and some of their music earlier this year, but they just posted the rest of the rep and a full show description.

http://www.arizonaac...:news&Itemid=94

"Left of Spring: Stravinsky Revisited"

- Rite of Spring - Igor Stravinsky
- Epilogue from the Broadway show "Spring Awakening"
- The Song of Purple Summer

What jumped out at me:

"Following the basic story line of the ballet, pagan rituals and images have been re-imagined to create a modern urban tribe. From the birth of the urban tribe, to the celebration of new life and the arrival of spring, the passionate ritual that sparks a riot, and finally the death and sacrifice of the chosen one."

This sounds like it's going to be a blast of a show, can't wait to see it!

Posted Image

#2 N.E. Brigand

N.E. Brigand

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:04 PM

By a curious chance I found myself speaking with one of their designers last month and he seemed pretty excited about this year's production. I'm looking forward to it.

Amplification in drum corps is like trampolines in the high jump.

"For some the only glimpse. For some the awaking." - - J.R.R. Tolkien

"If you are on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; and in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive man." - - C.S. Lewis

"How selfish soever man may be supposed, there are evidently some principles in his nature, which interest him in the fortune of others, and render their happiness necessary to him, though he derives nothing from it except the pleasure of seeing it." - - Adam Smith

#3 tubamarc8891

tubamarc8891

DCP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:46 PM

I'm excited to see this show!

#4 kansasDC

kansasDC

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:23 PM

"Spring Awakening". Cool. :thumbup:
Dave Borden
1965-1980 L.I. Kingsmen
Drum Corps volunteer 1981 through 2011.
Dad of Kris: 2012: The Cavaliers mellophone; 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006 Blue Stars mello, 2011 Blue Stars in-line drum major; 2005 Revolution soprano.

Posted Image

#5 POSITIVenrgy

POSITIVenrgy

DCP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:50 PM

Although I no longer have the strong, personal connection to Academy, that I had last year...... I am a huge fan for life. :smile: I loved their (Re) show last summer, (the ballad still gives me chills), and I am so excited to see what they offer this summer! Best of luck to you all at Academy!! :big hug:
"Knock loud, Life is deaf" - artist, Mimi Parent

"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says I'm possible" - Audrey Hepburn

#6 tubamarc8891

tubamarc8891

DCP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:28 PM

Was anybody at the Academy's Memorial Day performance? How'd they sound?Posted Image

#7 euphman89

euphman89

DCP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

Although I no longer have the strong, personal connection to Academy, that I had last year...... I am a huge fan for life. :smile: I loved their (Re) show last summer, (the ballad still gives me chills), and I am so excited to see what they offer this summer! Best of luck to you all at Academy!! :big hug:

For real. So many great hornlines in the 13-17 range last year. Academy is due for a break out performance sometime soon. Looking forward to this show!
Baritone, Capital Regiment 2009
Euphonium, Glassmen 2010
Baritone/Staff, Cincinnati Tradition 2013
Brother of Kappa Kappa Psi
Music Educator

#8 corpsband

corpsband

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,119 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:15 PM

Academy had some bus trouble -- someone took an awesome pic just chillin' under the night sky.

http://www.facebook....cademydrumcorps

Posted Image

Fantasy, abandoned by reason, produces impossible monsters; united with it, she is the mother of the arts and the origin of marvels.

--Francisco de Goya

#9 CLD

CLD

DCP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:20 PM

I really liked the Academy's show, it was an early one so there was still a ton of dirt especially in the battery - they were running into each other lol. I have no doubt that those problems are resolving every day. The music works and contrary to the naysayers, so do the hot pink guard unis and drums. Like Phantom's red and white, it makes for a stark visual contrast from the stands.

#10 Rocketman

Rocketman

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:54 PM

Saw it for the first time yesterday. I didn't really recognize any of the music, but I LOVED the show nonetheless.

RM
1973 - Pittsburgh Rockets
1974-75 Sharpsburg Cadets
1976-79 Phantom Regiment.
2005-07 Kingsmen Alumni Corps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please review Drum Corps Planet's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
The contents of this site are copyright (C) 2005-2010 DCP Partners, LLC and all rights are reserved. Requests for use may be directed to the DCP Office.
Drum Corps Planet™ and the DCP logo are trademarks of DCP Partners, LLC. All rights reserved. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.