PreTour Sights and Sounds!

you can hear NOTHING on that SCV video....waste.

What are you talking about? I think it's a run of the opener with the percussion and pit?

• Like 2

Well since we got some info on The Cavaliers... how about BD? Have they moved in yet? If so... how do they sound/look?

BD has an amazing show! So far they don't seem to have any props but do have recording samples of voices saying things that actually goes with the show. The drill is really different.

I'm sure the luddites will hate this show as it has a lot of fragmented pieces of songs but that is the whole point of the show. This show is very intellectual and has some amazing horn work. The bopster section from the 91 show is in there but they haven't put any drill to it yet. (Super clean sounding even now)

The MIngus section (from 96) has a little different twist to it. more on the abstract side from the pit. I really like it.

• Like 1

SO turns out last year was a departure from the norm, instead of a change of style? Well, it was nice while it lasted.... I'm going to miss hearing full melodies out of their show.

Am I the only one that thinks that "the norm" only happened in 2010? I don't really see any of their shows being overly cut up, besides 2010. That's once.

I've heard a few of the productions BD has played this year. Granted there is some chop and bop, I think it goes better than it did in 2010.

I'm sure the luddites will hate this show as it has a lot of fragmented pieces of songs but that is the whole point of the show. This show is very intellectual

The whole point of the short lived Dada Movement was its Anti- Intellectualism as its fundamental cornerstone. So is BD doing a parody ? Just curious, mind you.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I'm sure the luddites will hate this show as it has a lot of fragmented pieces of songs ...

?

What does fragmented melody have to do with technological change? Am I the only one that expected the comment to focus on amps and electronics in regards to luddites?

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 2

Am I the only one that thinks that "the norm" only happened in 2010? I don't really see any of their shows being overly cut up, besides 2010. That's once.

I've heard a few of the productions BD has played this year. Granted there is some chop and bop, I think it goes better than it did in 2010.

And in 2009 and 2008. But I'm referring more to the design philosophies, which have capitalized more on "intellectual" shows. I guess it works for the Blue Devils, but I wish they had stayed with what they did last year, with the crowd-friendly show.

• Like 3