DCI Documentary

Any idea of the story behind the hour long show on 27th Lancers 1975 season? Think it was proceduced by the Boston PBS station which did a LOT of shows in the late70s/80s. Highlight was at the end which was 27ths Finals show. Local PBS staion put it on a few years right before the live DCI broadcast.

I'm not sure whether you're expecting or just wishing. The simple, sad truth is the content you're decribing costs money to make. The sadder, simple truth is the YouTube generation affords us little hope those costs can be recouped. Not that you could have sold a DCI documentary a generation earlier. The cost of theatrical/broadcast distribution would have been prohibitive for an audience as narrow as ours.

Ironically, the Internet would have been the perfect vehicle for distributing a DCI documentary to this national, yet niche, audience - if - and it's a big "if" - that audience would agree that it ought to pay for the content it consumes and loves.

HH

I have all the necessary equipment, and have made documentaries before. Add to the fact that I am on tour much of the summer each year - its not like DCI would be loosing anything. This is something I could see myself doing in a year simply out of fun! Surely it can't be that hard, everyone is in the same place night after night for the most part! Thats why I am wondering who might be the leading authorities on the formation of DCI and whatnot

I have all the necessary equipment, and have made documentaries before. Add to the fact that I am on tour much of the summer each year - its not like DCI would be loosing anything. This is something I could see myself doing in a year simply out of fun! Surely it can't be that hard, everyone is in the same place night after night for the most part! Thats why I am wondering who might be the leading authorities on the formation of DCI and whatnot

well, Don Warren of the Cavaliers is stil with us, as is Dave K who used to be with Blue Stars. I don't have the video of Brass Roots handy, so I'm not sure who all else they talked to about it, but there's two guys who could tell you a lot.

I believe that was mostly a Tour DVD for the corps. And correct me if i'm wrong, but I think one of those years the goal was to honor their drum major that passed away just before the season started?

A couple of clarifications:

1. The Documentary is called "The Walk to Indy", and yes it was conceived and produced as a way to honor the late Zach Headden's memory.

2. It actually is not considered the 2010 Tour DVD for Pacific Crest. It is still in the major editing phases and a release date and details should be announced in the near future.

3. Pacific Crest was the main subject of the story, but the overall goal of the documentary is in fact to shed some light on the collective drum corps experience. So hopefully you will get what you want in terms of a drum corps documentary.

I hope this all helps!

well, Don Warren of the Cavaliers is stil with us, as is Dave K who used to be with Blue Stars. I don't have the video of Brass Roots handy, so I'm not sure who all else they talked to about it, but there's two guys who could tell you a lot.

Brass Roots is also on the Fan Network....

Brass Roots is also on the Fan Network....

Awesome! I'll check that out

HBO is at the Cavaliers rehearsal today filming some footage as a pitch for a documentary...about what exactly i dont know.

• Like 1

Not exactly what you are looking for, but being made this year.

More of a what is Drum Corp. This page list the goals of the documentary.