86 replies to this topic

#1 skeptic

skeptic

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:21 AM

Just curious as to what people think. Where on this list would you place a 2011 DCA corps? Below is the quarter finals rankings from DCI 2011. I dont think anyone would say a DCA corps could make top 12 so I started the list at 13th place.

I think that the top few DCA corps would fit right around the Jersey Surf area (25th).

13. Glassmen
14. Troopers
15. The Academy
16. Colts
17. Crossmen
18. Pacific Crest
19. Mandarins
20. Teal Sound
21. Blue Devils B
22. Oregon Crusaders
23. Cascades
24. Vanguard Cadets
25. Jersey Surf
26. Spartans
27. Pioneer
28. The Yokohama Scouts
29. Revolution
30. Genesis
31. 7th Regiment
32. Music City
33. Jubal
34. Legends
35. Raiders
36. Forte
37. Colt Cadets
38. Les Stentors
39. Racine Scouts
40. Blue Saints
41. Spirit of Newark

Read more: http://www.dci.org/s...a#ixzz1wKZi1Sqx
S.S.S.

#2 KeithHall

KeithHall

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,653 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:41 AM

You're kidding right?
Keith Hall

What is Hip?

#3 Fran Haring

Fran Haring

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,233 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:39 AM

No offense to the OP... but this topic has been flogged to death in previous years.

IMO.... apples and oranges.

Unless someone either invents a seven-day weekend, allowing all-age corps to rehearse in-season as much as the DCI touring corps... or if those DCI touring corps are required to rehearse only a couple of times a week in-season like the all-age corps do.... then I don't think there really is a fair way to compare the two products.

The DCI corps do what they do very well. And the DCA/all-age corps do what they do very well.

It's all good, as far as I'm concerned.
Sacred Heart Crusaders (NJ) 1971-1976
Sunrisers 1977-1982
Various stuff since then

"As God as my witness... I thought turkeys could fly." From WKRP In Cincinnati

"I said no water for HIM!!!!!!" From Ben-Hur

"I ain't gettin' on no time machine!" The ABA's Spirits of St. Louis center Marvin "Bad News" Barnes, refusing to board a team flight that was scheduled to arrive at 7:56 PM in St. Louis (Central Time) after departing from Kentucky at 8 PM (Eastern Time).

#4 KeithHall

KeithHall

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,653 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:42 AM

Now if you were to even out the rehearsal times and the season....I guess it would have to go to the experience. I mean...if all DCI and DCA corps had same schedule, same rehearsal time, then I would think that the more experienced corps would be up there.

But then again...apples and oranges!
Keith Hall

What is Hip?

#5 JimF-LowBari

JimF-LowBari

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,741 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:57 AM

My first thought was "Can a Granny Smith beat a Naval?" Well Red Dels from WA state definitally better than a Blood from Italy (*ugh*).

But never can remember which cirucit is the apple and which is the orange.

And are Minis or non-competitives (aka Alumni types) the bananas (including plantians - little bit o' everything).

Seriuosly - hard to impossible to tell with the non seven day a week schedule.

Kestone Kavaliers 73-74 (3 months)
Westshoremen 74-79,84-85 Alumni 04
Hanover Lancers 04-11
Low Bari - Didn't play lead and 5'6"

VIP Pass given to us to help my wife,

gotta love corps people

#6 ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar

ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar

DCP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:40 AM

You also have two completely different judging sheets to account for. Since 2005, design teams have programed their shows to either DCA or DCI standards.

DCM used to judge every corps on one sheet, at least for local shows. MN Brass "beat" most of the div II/III field and a couple of non-finalist Div I corps, but that's not really saying much considering how poorly constructed the system was.

I miss DCM, but not its judging.

#7 Jeff Ream

Jeff Ream

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158,754 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:19 AM

No offense to the OP... but this topic has been flogged to death in previous years.

IMO.... apples and oranges.

Unless someone either invents a seven-day weekend, allowing all-age corps to rehearse in-season as much as the DCI touring corps... or if those DCI touring corps are required to rehearse only a couple of times a week in-season like the all-age corps do.... then I don't think there really is a fair way to compare the two products.

The DCI corps do what they do very well. And the DCA/all-age corps do what they do very well.

It's all good, as far as I'm concerned.

:withstupid:

(usual disclaimers)

Jeff Ream
Westshoremen 89,90,95,96, 1996 DCA World Champions, Bucs drum staff 00, Empire drum staff 01 Shore alumni 02-,
RIP Sean Holton. We miss you and we love you
Dealing with idiots takes a special kind of patience and a hint of perversion. Luckily for DCP, I have both to spare

Unlike Congress, I never shut down.

#8 GUARDLING

GUARDLING

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,881 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:13 AM

Now if you were to even out the rehearsal times and the season....I guess it would have to go to the experience. I mean...if all DCI and DCA corps had same schedule, same rehearsal time, then I would think that the more experienced corps would be up there.

But then again...apples and oranges!

with all things even..hmmmmmm well guess everyone will find out this year with C2..lol

#9 skeptic

skeptic

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:10 AM

You're kidding right?

Nope. Problem?

Edited by skeptic, 30 May 2012 - 11:21 AM.

S.S.S.

#10 bccadet09

bccadet09

DCP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

DCA vs. DCI, BOA vs. DCI, DCA vs. BOA...

Between apples, bananas, and oranges, I'll take bananas. The ones with the black spots are the best...they have to be aged just right for me to savor the bite.
The Cadets 2007
Holy Name Cadets 2009 Ageout

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please review Drum Corps Planet's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
The contents of this site are copyright (C) 2005-2010 DCP Partners, LLC and all rights are reserved. Requests for use may be directed to the DCP Office.
Drum Corps Planet™ and the DCP logo are trademarks of DCP Partners, LLC. All rights reserved. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.