Can DCA Corps Beat DCI Corps?

The answer is also dependent on era. I think Frank D. has done a fine job explaining this and why things changed over the decades.

The answers here are also quite good and fair. The sheets are radically different, and have been for many years as well as the judging philosophy.

DCA vs. DCI, BOA vs. DCI, DCA vs. BOA...

Between apples, bananas, and oranges, I'll take bananas. The ones with the black spots are the best...they have to be aged just right for me to savor the bite.

Those are the best for banana cream pie.

Who said anything about judging sheets? Its not that hard to take 2 corps and compare who is flat out better than the other.

Who said anything about judging sheets? Its not that hard to take 2 corps and compare who is flat out better than the other.

To what paradigm and rubric is it "better"?

It does make a difference when you prepare to meet one set of ribrics over another.

And BITD, the rubrics were more similar or likely nearly identical.

Again, things have changed. The touring model and massive hours of rehearsal advantage have given the DCI units a serious edge. Also, both organizations have different goals and objectives for what defines excellence.

Indy Cars and Formula One cars to an untrained observer might be the same thing. Yes, they're open wheel race cars that are very fast, but inside, they're built to two entirely different sets of goals, philosophies, and specs. Same thing here. You could put them on a track and test- but it's kind of pointless.

• Like 3

To what paradigm and rubric is it "better"?

It does make a difference when you prepare to meet one set of ribrics over another.

And BITD, the rubrics were more similar or likely nearly identical.

Again, things have changed. The touring model and massive hours of rehearsal advantage have given the DCI units a serious edge. Also, both organizations have different goals and objectives for what defines excellence.

Indy Cars and Formula One cars to an untrained observer might be the same thing. Yes, they're open wheel race cars that are very fast, but inside, they're built to two entirely different sets of goals, philosophies, and specs. Same thing here. You could put them on a track and test- but it's kind of pointless.

plus one turns right more often than the other

No offense to the OP... but this topic has been flogged to death in previous years.

IMO.... apples and oranges.

Unless someone either invents a seven-day weekend, allowing all-age corps to rehearse in-season as much as the DCI touring corps... or if those DCI touring corps are required to rehearse only a couple of times a week in-season like the all-age corps do.... then I don't think there really is a fair way to compare the two products.

The DCI corps do what they do very well. And the DCA/all-age corps do what they do very well.

It's all good, as far as I'm concerned.

What he said :worthy:

plus one turns right more often than the other

Not so much as it used to be, Jeff. After Wheldon's death, IndyCar has only 4 Oval tracks on schedule, vast majority are now Road Courses.

And to be honest, The place I like to go to best now is Mid-Ohio. Nice people, great seats, beautiful venue, and awesome VIP perks for less per person than crap seats in NASCAR.

Speaking of which, I need tickets for Prelims for Annapolis... thank you for reminding me... :cool:

• Like 1

Not so much as it used to be, Jeff. After Wheldon's death, IndyCar has only 4 Oval tracks on schedule, vast majority are now Road Courses.

And to be honest, The place I like to go to best now is Mid-Ohio. Nice people, great seats, beautiful venue, and awesome VIP perks for less per person than crap seats in NASCAR.

Speaking of which, I need tickets for Prelims for Annapolis... thank you for reminding me... :cool:

way to ruin the joke

• Like 1

I have to admit I've often thought about this same scenario. How could you not? Any performer worth his or her salt has to think at some point, "I'm friggen good at this thing called 'drum corps' and I could march/play/spin/throw/drum circles around those kids/older folk."

I think, too, if you've participated in DCA and then went to watch a DCI show, or if you've participated in both activities at some point in your life, it's hard not to try to compare the two, as dissimilar as they are, though they are more similar than not in this fan's opinion.

Now, as to the question of where might a top DCA corps place at DCI quarterfinals, I don't know. I have no clue. However, I say we try it some time, and then we'll all know. Why not ask a top DCA corps to BRING IT? Invite Minnesota Brass, Inc., last year's DCA champ, to perform and be scored next to the DCI corps at prelims or something. What could it hurt? Wouldn't that be a huge rush to any member of that drum corps? If it were me holding a horn in that corps — and I soooo wish it were had that challenge come along — I would be jazzed beyond belief and telling, begging, pleading with the instructional staff to teach the snot out of me and rehearse the bajeepers out of me to the point where I was so good that we just might have a shot. And isn't this push for excellence, inspired by competition, the very hallmark of this great activity? (cue National Anthem) So what if they get stomped or elevated or placed 26th or 10th or fifth or whatever. I mean, their placement at DCI would have no bearing on their DCA status, would it? It's the drive to be awesome, not the final competitive placement result, that drives us, no? Annika Sorenstam and other ladies tried the PGA, didn't they? (and no, I'm not calling anyone a bunch of "girls") But they had to think, "man, I had better elevate my game.

To that I say, "heck yeah!"

I equate it to the movie (the original, not the remake), the Bad News Bears. The crowd chanted "Let them play," and the kids got to finish their ballgame on the field of the venerable Astrodome. In this case, what would be the harm in letting the senior circuit not only on the same field as "the Astros," but how about letting them have a game?

After all, no matter what circuit, it's a game (yeah, yeah, different rules and restrictions and rehearsal schedule and all of that, whatever, I get it.). But, pure and simple it's a game. And you gotta love this game.

• Like 1