Cadets 12.25

Just got back from spending 4 days in Johnston with the Cadets. I hesitated about sharing my observations because of the negativity I will receive from some, however, I know there are some out there that appreciate updates. Anyhow, the Cadets are in pretty good shape and they are actually sounding better than this time last year. I know there are some that are expecting to dislike this show...I really think you are going to be suprised. The first 5 minutes of the show is the strongest production I have seen from this corps in several years! The marching program is stepped up a notch from last year & the brass line is a wall of sound! The percussion section is having some performance issues at this point but they have a ton of potential. The guard seems to have a very talented group and they should be at a higher level than last year. Not sure how the Cadets will place this year, however, I was excited about what's going on in Cadet land. They have an extremely talented and focused group and I see more potential for this show than last years.

• Like 6

I'll be surprsied if they come out of the gate as strongly as they did last year. I know their percussion section is young, the same might be true of the hornline; though, I've read that the hornline is still playing with a lot of confidence and volume. I believe the guard has a lot of vets and could very well be better than last year, if the program allows for it. From what I've read, the corps is fitter than previous, so that could bode well.

Still not sure how the program will come together, though they are advertising the middle piece (Jingle) to be a real production, especially in the guard. If the first (Carol) is also very strong, then maybe our programmatic fears might be unfounded.

• Like 1

I know there are some that are expecting to dislike this show...I really think you are going to be suprised.

I haven't been keeping up with the commentary around this, so I don't know what all reasons folks have. I love the musical concept and I expect it to sound great. So long as they can keep voice-overs, movie sound clips, amplified singing, or goofy central characters out of the mix, I expect to love it. :thumbup:

Or, is this going to be a narrated story about how Santa Claus gets lost in the Zone and gets rescued by a goofy baby Jesus just in time to save Christmas for the family from the 2008 show?

• Like 3

People are expecting the Cadets to roll over and die, and I don't understand why.

This is the same group that made a show out of nothing (Juxta), drove around fake taxi cabs, made planes on the field, had a show with a giant door, and built an entire program around a giant pissing contest (2000).

If ANYONE can make a Christmas show work, it is the Cadets.

• Like 4

I think the important thing is that, from what I've heard, the music doesn't sound cheesy. I wouldn't really expect that of Bocook, but the book sounds great so far. A nice blend of recognizable Christmas tunes, in-your-face and passive moments, and that little bit of Cadets edge to bring the brass book to life. I would not write these guys off either. Having said that, it looks to be another year of close scores throughout (based purely on speculation). Cadets are going to have to dazzle to be contenders again. But with that staff and the quality of members they usually get, that is definitely not out of the question.

The Winter/Christmas theme seemed to work ok for the DCE Champions last year ph34r.gif

(show starts at 2:55 but DCP chokes on the time modifier in youtube strings)

That was tight!!! :thumbup:

• Like 2

saw some unauthorized video. looks pretty cool, and knowing how this corps historically can make huge improvements late in the season, I wouldn't count them out. The music seemed very uncheesy. Can't predict where they will place, but unless they totally overload it with gimmicks, vocals etc, it should be in the mix