CADETS NNJ DEBUT

If you missed the debut....... something may have popped up on youtube :thumbup:

Almost full show marching....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEvqRNTA7ng&list=UUClw4fhOx33pFXuwe-nB5TA&index=1&feature=plcp

Closer standstill.....

The closer definitely rocked my socks off. Holy cow! Some great arranging from Jay.

Umm, ok. I'm still a little skeptical about this show, but so far, they're sucking me into it. I'm intrigued.

I was skeptical about this show, but what you and others have said belays that somewhat. I was worried the content would be rather dull and one dimensional (after all, I have to say that a Christmas themed drum corps show is uncharted territory).

And naturally the pit has to be amazing. Moyer's arranging skills are ridiculously good (and he is one ridiculously good percussionist himself).

A Christmas themed drum corps show is uncharted territory? No, not really. I like what I see from Cadets so far though (minus the "Oh yea" samples in the show which do not sound good)... thumbup.gif

Bridgemen 1985: Christmas in July * Come on Baby Dance with Me * Imagination

Phantom Regiment 1987

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAs3HsGPdw8

The Cavaliers 1991

Edited by jjeffeory

I was there. I was a skeptic on the Christmas music. I said "was." This was wonderful music that happened to come from the Christmas catalogue. Well chosen. Well rendered. I'm buying it. And I'm a Jew.

By the way, Hopkins told the crowd there's some "Dreidel, Dreidel" thrown in for us Chanukah types. I missed it. But I appreciate the thought!

HH

• Like 3

Thank you Cadets. It's so nice to see a guard feature (in the opener) using actual FLAGS for once. :thumbup:

• Like 1

I was there. I was a skeptic on the Christmas music. I said "was." This was wonderful music that happened to come from the Christmas catalogue. Well chosen. Well rendered. I'm buying it. And I'm a Jew.

By the way, Hopkins told the crowd there's some "Dreidel, Dreidel" thrown in for us Chanukah types. I missed it. But I appreciate the thought!

HH

I think it's after the long pit run in Jingle Bells? Where the jazz intensity picks up... The melody is "dreidel, dreidel, dreidel"

Thank you Cadets. It's so nice to see a guard feature (in the opener) using actual FLAGS for once. :thumbup:

And they actually looked pretty good doing it. :thumbup:

I was there for the afternoon rehearsal as well as the evening performance. Like many others, I was going in with a somewhat negative attitude about Christmas music, however I really did enjoy the brass performance. That being said, the battery left a lot to be desired. I realize its early in the season, but seeing this idential performance last year in Allendale prior to the season starting, I feel that the battery is well behind where they were in 2011. I hope they turn it up shortly, but there were signifigant inconsistances that I'm not used to seeing from the Cadets this early in the season. Loved the Brass and Pit. Can't wait to see the corps again soon.

They look and sound GREAT! Unfortunately Christmas music makes me sick to my stomach! Sorry and no disrespect to the performers at all I just think it's a waste of talent. They instead could be playing great music like they did last year. Well anyway for those of you who can't grasp anything new and interesting now we have something for you to all whistle to. :thumbup:

Personally I think it's a total sell out just like BD did with last years show which I thought was also performed well just didn't do it for me.

Their intonation is quite good and as always a stellar pit section!

• Like 6

The music didn't really do a lot for me. If you were wondering whether you can insert enough stereotypical drum corps hits into christmas carols, the answer is definitely yes. But in terms of generating any real musical interest, not so much.

On the other hand, the brass performance sounded better than I was expecting for early June. I expect the Cadets to be fine in terms of performance this summer - it will be well-marched and well-played. But I don't see this show dominating in effect they way they did last summer.

• Like 1