Who's Finished

One could also argue that the Bucs were just a better drum corps over this particular time frame. But it seems to me that this incomplete show issue was not so much of a problem back in say the 70's thru 80's. And the season started a bit earlier if I recollect.

Started Memorial Day Saturday with an exhibition at Mount Carmel, years later moved to Danville, PA. Difference is more local people at the time so to work on the drill early and (IMO) less complex shows that probably took less time to teach. But I'll let people who marched both then and now tell me about show complexities. But remember at least one year where we were learning the end of the show at Danville that afternoon due to a very wet Spring. Don't remember any shows with a standstill at the end but know there were pieces that were fudged until the "real" drill could be put in.

Thinking about it I went having one major weekend camp during the year to having one a month for about 3 months. Difference was being able to hold practices during the work week which fell off years later.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Just my .50

Some corps may have every drill set learned, but there is never a show complete for the first show. There are always changes, enhancements, that go on all season long etc.....

I get, and respect, that shows should be at least close, from a fan's perspective but keep in mind, so much has changed in the activity, which perpetuates the life of the activity.

Now you have members of some/many corps traveling many hours, states etc. to march with their respective corps, which puts some limitations on any extra work etc.....

Face it, the shows are far more difficult and intricate then they were BIID. That too, is part of keeping this activity alive and strong.

So, it's just not that simple as "When I marched we were done.........."

LETS GO HAWTHORNE

• Like 1

I don't have an answer for you... because there is NO clear answer...

but

I will say, judging an early season show that is incomplete is one of the most challenging for any judge...

As an example, I judged Bush many times in the 80's with VERY incomplete shows and MANY holes, but found myself saying "this show could win championships" BUT had to put a number down for THAT night... VERY difficult to balance everything they did do right against the lack of bodies and against the incomplete show vs programs that may not be as well written but are more complete and are offering the audience much more THAT night... arriving at the correct number THAT night is most difficult...

Some may point out why not give the best corps of THAT night the best score :cool:

Edited by camel lips
  • Like 1

I guess I think it's strange that a corps would NOT be "finished" with their show at the beginning of the season. Yes, changes and additions will be made. But good lord, didn't staff people know when the first show was due??? If you are not ready then the administration needs to re-think their winter schedule. You can blame weather on occasion but apart from that I think there is no excuse.

I guess I think it's strange that a corps would NOT be "finished" with their show at the beginning of the season. Yes, changes and additions will be made. But good lord, didn't staff people know when the first show was due??? If you are not ready then the administration needs to re-think their winter schedule. You can blame weather on occasion but apart from that I think there is no excuse.

I think too many people accept what they see at face value. It's a problem I deal with in my career every day. Just because a corps does not perform a few final pages in their drill does not mean they aren't finished or aren't prepared. It could be a safety issue, a rewrite, discomfort with the last few pages, or maybe just building susspense for the next show.

We are real quick to crucify but not quick to use our brains me thinks.

It's a moot point anyway as this year the outcomes at show 1 were much improved.

Edited by irishbugle

The spread between Cabs and Buccs last year was 6.5. I have the spread at only 4.5 this year.

Its my feeling that Bucs won't come out as strong as in years past because of the major turn over in staff.

We will see come Monday :)

Right again.

That darn math thing. :tongue:

And the off season schedule has a lot to due with when the warm bodies can make the practices. If you schedule a lot of practices over the winter/spring there may be a bunch of members who can't make them all due to work/school/distance/money/whatever. At what point is a practice useless because of holes and going over the same parts of the drill for people who were missing? Or do you be hard nosed and say make X% of practices or don't join and then have a smaller corps?

Thinking about it as I started when in High School and Community College and missed about one practice a year over that time. Then I went to a college 4 hours (and no car) away and it was a whole different world trying to keep up and be ready for the first show.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1