Cadets 2012

I fear we have collectively become quite the group of snobs, if we feel we have to "get beyond" the Christmas theme. And skajerk, I'm not just poking at you, I've read this sentiment from several others by now. Gee, are we REALLY bothered by "familiar" music (Jingle Bells)? Well, aren't we just full of ourselves. I say - bring on the Christmas music! I hope it's awesome! A nice, refreshing, change of pace for The Cadets. I wish more corps would grow some you-know-what and step out there like GH is doing!

No worries!

To clarify, I LOVE Christmas music! It's my favorite season of the year. The reason I said I can "get beyond the Christmas theme" was for those who seem to have a problem with the theme. Forget the theme and just listen to that music! If you're going to let the word "Christmas" get in the way of enjoying that arrangement of "Do You Hear...", I don't know what to tell you (the "general" you).

Edited by skajerk

People are either going to really LIKE this show, or NOT like it. It's going to go either way for a lot of people.

Often enough, that winds up being a good thing in the longrun! I've started to miss Cadets shows that take huge design risks. I think this show will ultimately be something special.

Here is my two cents on the music selection-

I liken it to when I come across a sitcom in syndication that's a Christmas episode. I change the channel-

I'm not saying I am not going to give it a chance- I usually love the Cadets (minus speaking and through the looking glass shows)

Whether I enjoy it or not- I'll applaud as loud for them as I do any other corps- which is LOUD!

• Like 1

I fear we have collectively become quite the group of snobs, if we feel we have to "get beyond" the Christmas theme. And skajerk, I'm not just poking at you, I've read this sentiment from several others by now. Gee, are we REALLY bothered by "familiar" music (Jingle Bells)? Well, aren't we just full of ourselves. I say - bring on the Christmas music! I hope it's awesome! A nice, refreshing, change of pace for The Cadets. I wish more corps would grow some you-know-what and step out there like GH is doing!

We actually cover both ends of the spectrum. You can read people getting mad at BD for not playing stuff they've already played dozens of times, people getting mad for Cadets playing familiar music, people getting excited for Crown playing other corps' corps songs and people getting excited for Boston recycling their old stuff.

• Like 2

No worries!

To clarify, I LOVE Christmas music! It's my favorite season of the year. The reason I said I can "get beyond the Christmas theme" was for those who seem to have a problem with the theme. Forget the theme and just listen to that music! If you're going to let the word "Christmas" get in the way of enjoying that arrangement of "Do You Hear...", I don't know what to tell you (the "general" you).

now heres the problem Youre only looking at it from 1 perspective. IF CAdets presented a xmas program and it visually didnt have the xmas extravaganza it couldnt work. You cant just listen to the music...well I guess those who only listen to music can..just close your eyes..lol..If this theme is going to go somewhere it has to visually show it not just hear it.

Sorry, that's the horn player in me coming out. :cool:

The clip I've seen didn't offer much visually so that's why I really didn't say anything. I'll add more when there's a better clip.

Sorry, that's the horn player in me coming out. :cool:

The clip I've seen didn't offer much visually so that's why I really didn't say anything. I'll add more when there's a better clip.

true....i expectit could be over the top like someone threw up x mas...hopefully tasteful...the problem with a theme like this ..it can be great or over the top tacky its a fine line..I think Spirit can be in the same boat with their theme...we've all see it before wheather it was another corps, a sr. corps or a band and weve seen it done tasteful as well as over the top tacky....we'll see soon.......good luck to all

Edited by GUARDLING

I understand that they will be playing "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" in parades. I can visualize the eyebrows raising and puzzled looks on faces from the unknowing public at say a Fourth of July parade. Ethel says to Fred, " oh dear, I thought this was the Fourth of July and that 'band' is playing Christmas carols".

I understand that they will be playing "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" in parades. I can visualize the eyebrows raising and puzzled looks on faces from the unknowing public at say a Fourth of July parade. Ethel says to Fred, " oh dear, I thought this was the Fourth of July and that 'band' is playing Christmas carols".

:laughing: :laughing:

Cute!!

But seriously, I know "We Need a Little Christmas" is one of their parade songs. The arrangement is very much a parade march sort of feel, almost Souza-ish at times. Are they doing Hark as well?