Albuquerque, Tues. 6/19

-Santa Clara Vanguard

Mellophones really stuck out as impressive to me, particularly in the ballads. Very nice.

Thank you, JD Shaw. I'm pretty sure he doesn't allow mellophones to play his stuff badly

• Like 3

I attended the ABQ Show (Los Lunas) and believe the scores should have been thrown out the window. I wouldn't change the positions but definately the scores and they were not reflective of the shows this evening.

Phantom by far had the New Mexico audience as they are one of the few corps who consistantly come here. Great show (althought I don't believe very difficult) but visually beautiful and graceful as their color guard is top notch. Technical wise not this night (many dropped sabres and rifles [rifles new this year]). The show seemed to be a rehash of Juliet (CG) and Spartacus (head chopping) but have to say came off well. Deserved top spot this night as it was the cleanest.

SCV - believe the judges based their scores from last year. Forget it!!! - this is a new SCV with a crowd pleasing show along with new sound that was absent last year. The horn line is back and with an already solid percussion this corps did not disappoint - should have been closer to Phantom. The CG jammies (Starry Night uniforms) were fitting for their show. The show hit all the marks and can see the great potential to expand this presentation. Once the judges get their heads on right this is going to be a competative corps. This is definately a better corps than last year with a show to please the audience. No where but up for these kids.

BK - the opening was a bit surprising when they dropped all the horns on the right side of the field and did this movement/dance number with the color guard. Interesting and over time I think I'll like it but need to see this one a few more times. Enjoyed the show but last half was very dirty but knowing this corps they will clean up quickly and can see this show coming together. This night the electronics were a bit strong (too much) but it was the first show for them. This show goes back to darker BK shows but at the same time brings out new bright spots so I see potential here. I'm a BK fan so see them only getting better.

Academy - These guys are going places. They had me at the beginning of the show and love the larger horn line - Andre has definately made an impact here! Nice! This show had me in the palm of their hand and then stopped as the show was not complete. Clean this puppy up and this corps could be knocking on the door of the Top 12. Keep up the great work!

Overall - If DCI is going to judge shows this way (5 person staff) then it would have been better to just call this a demonstation or family night as the scores really didn't mean all that much and just provide comments to the corps. Score (to me) were worthless.

my two cents...

Edited by amadorj
  • Like 2

Overall - If DCI is going to judge shows this way (5 person staff) then it would have been better to just call this a demonstation or family night as the scores really didn't mean all that much and just provide comments to the corps. Score (to me) were worthless.

my two cents...

Would you say the scores was " worthless " last night if your former Corps had beaten Phantom Regiment by 6 points instead of the other way around ? Just asking, mind you. SCV has done well with these smaller panels in the past, but I don't recall the complaints with the format then, but who knows, maybe you didn't like it then as well when SCV did ok with it, but I just never read that from you at the time.

Edited by BRASSO

Would you say the scores was " worthless " last night if your former Corps had beaten Phantom Regiment by 6 points instead of the other way around ? Just asking, mind you. SCV has done well with these smaller panels in the past, but I don't recall the complaints with the format then, but who knows, maybe you didn't like it then as well when SCV did ok with it, but I just never read that from you at the time.

I didn't care for the smaller panels before whether SCV did better or not. Felt the first real test was Stanford which to me was the first decent test of scores. All prior seem to be wash and more so this night in Los Lunas. While I am a SCV fan since I marched prior, I'm also a fan of Phantom and BD since many of our members went on to raise the bar with other corps (Valenzuela/Downey/Moxley/Emmons/Meehan/etc...).

Best!

I didn't care for the smaller panels before whether SCV did better or not. Felt the first real test was Stanford which to me was the first decent test of scores. All prior seem to be wash and more so this night in Los Lunas. While I am a SCV fan since I marched prior, I'm also a fan of Phantom and BD since many of our members went on to raise the bar with other corps (Valenzuela/Downey/Moxley/Emmons/Meehan/etc...).

Best!

ok.

full panel on Saturday so no excuses.....