George Hopkins

Here is a Marching Roundtable Podcast with GH talking about why he wants woodwinds.

"For the future possibility of music education."

"Drum corps, as it stands now, I dont think is really a viable, doesn't have a viable platform enough to go forward."

"There is just not enough people who care about it anymore."

All this and more here, My link

Edited by TubaJon

Which raises the question of "Will woodwinds, or any other change, offset/slow/stop the decline?"

IOW - does he think woodwinds will be the magic bullet?

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Is it possible that not enough people care about it anymore BECAUSE of the changes he's pushed? Drum corps relies on fan support and the largest segment of the fan base are either long time fans or corps alumni. IMO, DCI and the changes made by George Hopkins have been the largest single factor in the alienation/disenfranchisement of the diehard fanbase. Self-fulfilling prophecy, IYAM.

I agree with allot of this and will add.. I'm boycotting the activity is woodwinds are permitted.

Edited by rancidrolla
  • Like 3

And here we go..................

Holy hell, it's Dodge City in here (DCI Forum) today... :peek:

Here is a Marching Roundtable Podcast with GH talking about why he wants woodwinds.

"For the future possibility of music education."

"Drum corps, as it stands now, I dont think is really a viable, doesn't have a viable platform enough to go forward."

All this and more here, My link

...And he's correct. But woodwinds isn't going to shift the balance...It just means fewer people will care because the product will lose the identity, and brand differentiation from marching band, that the few who are interested care about.

The baby goes out the window with the bathwater.

Sorry, George.

• Like 2

Is it possible that not enough people care about it anymore BECAUSE of the changes he's pushed? Drum corps relies on fan support and the largest segment of the fan base are either long time fans or corps alumni. IMO, DCI and the changes made by George Hopkins have been the largest single factor in the alienation/disenfranchisement of the diehard fanbase. Self-fulfilling prophecy, IYAM.

I agree with you in many ways BUT heres a question..will the fan base, die hard, fan support change as the fan of yesterday and today ages and the old timer becomes a total different decade of people...just a thought