Phantomettes

You want to know what's unfair? Lady Gaga won't return my phone calls.

Maybe its a Beijing thing, Michael.

I think if the corps hadn't brought in male guard members a few years ago, this wouldn't even be a topic of discussion.

The issue of "fair" or "unfair" isn't relevant when an organization gets to set its own criteria to enhance the theme of its show. Several years ago, the Pride of Cincinnati winter guard went all male for a show about Alcatraz. Themes happen.

If this seems unfair to you, there may be very little in life in the future that does seem fair.

You want to know what's unfair? Lady Gaga won't return my phone calls. (But then, neither will Betty White and at least Lady Gaga hasn't taken out a restraining order...yet.)

:worthy:

Maybe its a Beijing thing, Michael.

It must be. It can't be me; it just can't be. It's got to be everyone else. :tongue:

It must be. It can't be me; it just can't be. It's got to be everyone else. :tongue:

Its George Bush's fault.

It’s seems refreshing to me and now it’s something different

Plus its part of the effect of the show design

Sometimes, the guy girl dance bits, faux emotional drama acted out in the guard seems so tired, predictable

I liked their 2006 guard where they had a few guy demons – thinking about it, they seem to often sex their guard numbers for general effect which is cool – credit given to them

did the all female guard work last year?

Yes. otherwise the show may have been called Julio.

Does it work this year? So far the word is yes.

so props to Phantom for doing what works best for their shows.

• Like 1

To play (an opinionated) devil's advocate:

I believe having an all-female colorguard in a corps that is co-ed is not 'fair'. I was searching for a word other than fair, but couldn't think of one.

Of course it offers an overall different vibe and I think either way, the guard will be talented. However limiting a co-ed corps to an only female guard is forcing young men who have always dreamed of performing there, to audition somewhere else. The fact being 'we are only auditioning females' seems unfair to me.

As someone who dances, why would I not want to be with one of the most 'graceful' colorguards of the activity. A little far fetched, but it is the same as saying 'we are only going to audition those who weigh in at 110lbs or less'

What do you think?

Life isn't fair. Phantom makes design choices based on what they believe is best for their organization/current year show design. I haven't seen their 2012 show, but I thought what they did last year with their all female guard worked for them, and made their guard unique (just as Cavaliers & Madison's all male guards are unique). I don't care about "fair" when it comes to drum corps: I only care about effect, and Phantom has been very effective historically with their all female guards.

I am so baffled as to why this is STILL and argument on this forum. It's almost as offensive as making a huge deal because a female is on the snare line (and *shock* center snare!)

It was done for design purposes, and has proven over and over that it has worked well for this group. Remember last year when it was said repeatedly that an all female colorguard had no chance in being competitive, and would not be able to accomplish the effect that a co-ed guard could?

IT WORKS. These young women are busting their butts out there, and it's paying off. They have created a great product the past two years and I am excited to see how it continues.

• Like 3